STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

What About the Parents?

GatorReil19
My English class was loud as usual, right before the bell rings for class to start, but I saw my teacher sitting at his desk. He had a pain in his face that is hard to describe. It was a mix of heartbreak and anger, sadness and fear all mixing together like a great shadow that covered his usual joyous expression. We asked him what was wrong and I will never forget those words he told us.
“There were twenty kids shot at an elementary school in Connecticut today. Some teachers were shot too.” He said with a blatant heaviness in his voice.
It broke my heart. It broke everyone’s heart that could understand just what had happened. Those children and teachers had to die in a way that no person deserves to die – by a mentally unsound man with a gun. Twenty lives, just beginning to bloom into a flower of life were cut off from their ground, cut off from their life.
I am left wondering but one question: What about the parents?
What about the mom and dad who will never get to see their son get his first car? Or see their daughter go to prom her junior year in high school? Or send their son to college? Or what about the dad who will never walk his little girl down the aisle so she can marry the man she loves?
What about the parents?
I am no parent. I don’t plan to be for a long time, but I can’t help but feel for each of them, feel the pain in my own heart in the fact that they won’t be able to get their son his first car, or see their daughter go to prom, or send their son to college, and some dad will never be able to walk his daughter down the aisle to her husband. It breaks my heart and makes me cry and pray for each family.
Because yes, those parents will never be able to see their child, but I think that in this nation, we have the ability to help those who are hurting. We are a nation that doesn’t sit down, but gets back up and fights. We are a nation of survivors and healers and dreamers and I believe that as a nation, we can make this world a little safer, but it will take time.
Taking away a physical object doesn't fix mental issues.
I don't want to be a parent who loses their child like this someday, so I think that as a nation we need to find ways to fix the mental issues before we take away weapons.
John F. Kennedy once said: "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
America needs to change, we need to look at our future because the past is gone and the present is leaving.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy