What About the Parents?

GatorReil19
My English class was loud as usual, right before the bell rings for class to start, but I saw my teacher sitting at his desk. He had a pain in his face that is hard to describe. It was a mix of heartbreak and anger, sadness and fear all mixing together like a great shadow that covered his usual joyous expression. We asked him what was wrong and I will never forget those words he told us.
“There were twenty kids shot at an elementary school in Connecticut today. Some teachers were shot too.” He said with a blatant heaviness in his voice.
It broke my heart. It broke everyone’s heart that could understand just what had happened. Those children and teachers had to die in a way that no person deserves to die – by a mentally unsound man with a gun. Twenty lives, just beginning to bloom into a flower of life were cut off from their ground, cut off from their life.
I am left wondering but one question: What about the parents?
What about the mom and dad who will never get to see their son get his first car? Or see their daughter go to prom her junior year in high school? Or send their son to college? Or what about the dad who will never walk his little girl down the aisle so she can marry the man she loves?
What about the parents?
I am no parent. I don’t plan to be for a long time, but I can’t help but feel for each of them, feel the pain in my own heart in the fact that they won’t be able to get their son his first car, or see their daughter go to prom, or send their son to college, and some dad will never be able to walk his daughter down the aisle to her husband. It breaks my heart and makes me cry and pray for each family.
Because yes, those parents will never be able to see their child, but I think that in this nation, we have the ability to help those who are hurting. We are a nation that doesn’t sit down, but gets back up and fights. We are a nation of survivors and healers and dreamers and I believe that as a nation, we can make this world a little safer, but it will take time.
Taking away a physical object doesn't fix mental issues.
I don't want to be a parent who loses their child like this someday, so I think that as a nation we need to find ways to fix the mental issues before we take away weapons.
John F. Kennedy once said: "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
America needs to change, we need to look at our future because the past is gone and the present is leaving.