STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts On Newtown: We Can't Be Trusted Anymore

ndhingra
My Thoughts On Newtown: We Can’t Be Trusted Anymore

I paused. Everyone else continued to do their work quietly and consistently, simply disregarding the news entirely, but I just stared at the story in awe. Suddenly a waterfall of emotions overcame me, from sadness to enragement to pure shock, I didn’t know what to think. How could someone murder 20 kindergarteners in cold blood? More importantly, how was someone allowed to murder so many innocent lives? As all of these emotions struck me at once as I glanced over the news article, I took one deep breath, and told myself that I would do something to prevent another horrible massacre. I told myself I would let my opinions be heard no matter how drastic the solution may be. Which is why I propose the ultimatum to gun control, the solution that seems so impossible yet is unfortunately the most necessary: Take guns off of the streets. For good.
While NRA supporters would most obviously argue our Second Amendment right in the constitution, the fact is that while our rights are entitled to us, we still have to prove that we deserve them. With about 10,000 of the 14,000 murders in the U.S. in 2011 being through guns, and with these mass murderers becoming more complex thinkers (James Holmes having rigged his apartment to blow and Adam Lanza managing to obtain legal guns in a state with severe gun laws), the truth is that we can’t be trusted with guns anymore. Especially living in Chicago, my city knows this pain all too well.
On December 29th, 2012, Chicago marked its 500th homicide, the annual death toll in Chicago that year lining up to be 509. 2012 saw many periods of violent in Chicago, the peak in August with 58 deaths in just that month, which is more people killed then in the Aurora shooting and the Connecticut shooting combined. While Chicago may not have shootings and massacres that leave scores of people dead, we practically have the same idea, except in smaller doses on a weekly basis. The predicament with national media though is that they find it much easier and better for their ratings if they focus on concentrated slaughters rather than our small instances of violence/murder that end up leading to a much larger death toll.
While Americans attempt to help other locations in need, they forget to look back at their own country and the murder crisis that looms there. Even though I’m not saying that there haven’t been attempts to stop the violence epidemic in Chicago, I’m just pointing out the facts, which right now are at 509. Obama is currently trying to put more and more regulations on the selling of guns and more background checks on gun purchasing, but the fact of the matter is that if someone is determined enough to get their hands on a gun for any assortment of reasons, they will end up getting their gun, whether legally or illegally.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy