My Thoughts On Newtown: We Can't Be Trusted Anymore

ndhingra
My Thoughts On Newtown: We Can’t Be Trusted Anymore

I paused. Everyone else continued to do their work quietly and consistently, simply disregarding the news entirely, but I just stared at the story in awe. Suddenly a waterfall of emotions overcame me, from sadness to enragement to pure shock, I didn’t know what to think. How could someone murder 20 kindergarteners in cold blood? More importantly, how was someone allowed to murder so many innocent lives? As all of these emotions struck me at once as I glanced over the news article, I took one deep breath, and told myself that I would do something to prevent another horrible massacre. I told myself I would let my opinions be heard no matter how drastic the solution may be. Which is why I propose the ultimatum to gun control, the solution that seems so impossible yet is unfortunately the most necessary: Take guns off of the streets. For good.
While NRA supporters would most obviously argue our Second Amendment right in the constitution, the fact is that while our rights are entitled to us, we still have to prove that we deserve them. With about 10,000 of the 14,000 murders in the U.S. in 2011 being through guns, and with these mass murderers becoming more complex thinkers (James Holmes having rigged his apartment to blow and Adam Lanza managing to obtain legal guns in a state with severe gun laws), the truth is that we can’t be trusted with guns anymore. Especially living in Chicago, my city knows this pain all too well.
On December 29th, 2012, Chicago marked its 500th homicide, the annual death toll in Chicago that year lining up to be 509. 2012 saw many periods of violent in Chicago, the peak in August with 58 deaths in just that month, which is more people killed then in the Aurora shooting and the Connecticut shooting combined. While Chicago may not have shootings and massacres that leave scores of people dead, we practically have the same idea, except in smaller doses on a weekly basis. The predicament with national media though is that they find it much easier and better for their ratings if they focus on concentrated slaughters rather than our small instances of violence/murder that end up leading to a much larger death toll.
While Americans attempt to help other locations in need, they forget to look back at their own country and the murder crisis that looms there. Even though I’m not saying that there haven’t been attempts to stop the violence epidemic in Chicago, I’m just pointing out the facts, which right now are at 509. Obama is currently trying to put more and more regulations on the selling of guns and more background checks on gun purchasing, but the fact of the matter is that if someone is determined enough to get their hands on a gun for any assortment of reasons, they will end up getting their gun, whether legally or illegally.