My Thoughts on Newtown: We need to Look at Why, NOT How.

LaLa1998
Over the years, America has had his its fill of shootings. One of the more recent ones is the shooting of Newtown, CT. at Sandy Hook Elementary. Given these recent events, some say guns are to blame and more gun control is needed. We need to look not at the method of killing, but the reason for killing. When Jovan Belcher, a former Kansas City football player shot his girlfriend and himself, many said it would not have happened if he hadn't owned a gun. On Dec. 4, 2012, Sean Hannity, while talking to Erik Rush and Leo Terrell about Belcher, had said, "If somebody is hell-bent on killing somebody, they don't need a gun to do it." At the theater shooting in Aurora, James Holmes used a gun, but had his apartment rigged with bombs. He was determined on killing people, gun or no gun. Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people and injured more than 168 others. Not a single gun was used in that incident. In Newtown, Adam Lanza was a child who had showed an unusual interest in violent games. Before the shooting, Lanza lived in his mother's basement. News reporters were told that he was rarely seen outside of the house, and that he only played violent video games. these video games have missions where you kill a specific target and anyone who tries to prevent you from doing so. They also have online games where the person with the "most kills and least deaths" win. If these games are all a person is focused on- as was reported in Lanza's case- ideas start to formulate. We, as a nation, need to stop these ideas from formulating. These games aren't to blame either though, there have been several other murders where the killer had no connection to such games. What causes somebody to think killing is right? This is the focus, not how the killing is done. After the shooting in Newtown, Wayne LaPierre, head of the NRA, said, " The only thing that stops a good guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. What are we going to do if there are no good guys with guns left? There are bans on adjustable stocks, larger magazines, fully automatic, etc. These bans are for civilian gun owners. The most important people in our country have security that carries guns. Our right to bear arms is for the protection of the evil among us. the Second Amendment of the Constitution, of which our fore fathers wrote, says, ".... the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." The ban of guns infringes these rights. As you can see, America, as a country and as individuals, need to look at why such murders are happening. A mindset has been set that if a weapon has been used for murdering, it is wrong to own one. In actuality, we need to figure out why the murder is being committed, not how.
Comment by JulianDujarric

You bring up some valid points. I'd love to discuss this further for a potential story on Channel One News. Let me know if you're interested / available.

Julian Dujarric
Anchor / Reporter - Channel One News
DujarricJ@cbsnews.com
646.938.8365
http://ChannelOne.com
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:33:45 PM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura