STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: A scapegoat for stupidity

Dmpancakepalace
Throughout time, people have always been quick to point fingers and place blame; a scapegoat to throw their anger at. They never hear the truth when it's there, staring them in the face. They never want to hear that the actions were caused by another human being, or heaven-forbid another American!? People wish to believe that we all are decent, but the answer is, people are, for the most part, evil.
Blaming this shooting on gun control is similar to blaming my lack of writing this essay faster on video games. They may have facilitated it and made it easier, but the blame falls on me. I was the lazy one, and I made the decision to slack off. If I didn't have video games, I'd have read a book or played card games with some friends. These are only tools to be used by me in the act of procrastination. If you want to get rid of all these tools as a solution, you are going to be working for a long time, and once you finish my daily life will more resemble Stalin's vision than the one you had in mind.
Despite this, there are limitations you can put on guns to make them safer, without outright banning them. These can include things such as limiting access of guns to criminal offenders, high school dropouts and others. Perhaps we should require deeper background checks to obtain automatic weaponry, because those have little practical use besides to collectors or gun enthusiasts. This still doesn't stop gun violence, because everyone has a chance to snap and go off eventually. That can never be prevented, and trying to do so is a pointless endeavor.
Another ironic part of these gun ban talks is the fact that the second amendment allows guns, not for the sake of having them, but for the purpose of overthrowing and fighting an oppressive government. The fact that these talks of taking away guns, essentially oppressing our society, are coming from the government that should protect us is amazing to me. Next McDonald’s will be outlawed because it is the quickest and easiest way to cause death by obesity.
People always want something to blame. And somehow that something is always convenient to their views. It is in human nature to want to have a scapegoat to throw their blame at, whether it be video games, gun control laws, or the mental health care of the country. They point these fingers all around while the issue brews and grows out of control, but no one ever wants to point at the real issues such as their parenting habits or the mass ignorance of humans. We are all the same in the end, but we are all different, and punishing the many for the actions of the few is stupid.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. " - H. L. Mencken
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy