STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: People are the Problem.

taylorhammen
The weapon doesn’t commit violence. Violence is committed by a person, a human, and in many cases a monster.
After the tragedy in Newtown, CT many people were quick to assume that restricting gun use, and those who may buy guns would help solve the problem. I personally agree, however I don’t believe that crimes are committed due to the weapon. I believe that tragedies such as the one in Newtown are committed due to the lack of moral restraint, and mental illnesses that would cause humans to do such monstrous things.
Restricting gun use is like developing a vaccine to help rid a virus after contracting it, as opposed to spending the time and money to make a vaccine that will prevent the virus in the first place.
While I do believe that restricting gun use will help aid the cause, I don’t think it will be nearly as beneficial as providing help for those in a mental condition that would allow them to act in such a way.
If you think about it, it makes much more sense to help fix the mentality of those who commit these crimes, then to take away there weapons.
Just because the government won’t legally allow them to have a gun, doesn’t mean they won’t have one anyways, or use something else as a weapon.
Statistics show that more people are killed in car crashes each year then with guns. Does this mean the government needs to ban cars from the U.S? What about cigarettes? Cigarettes kill nearly half a million people each year.
The reason these things aren’t banned in the U.S is because people have a choice. People make a choice to smoke, drink and drive, and get involved with harmful substances. People also make a choice to use guns in a harmful manner.
Increasing security throughout schools, and public places, is defiantly a step in the right direction. Gun control, and gun restriction however, won’t make the dramatic impact many Americans are looking for.
So what’s next if gun control isn’t enforced?
Even though I am not the president, or anyone who can make the law, I am an U.S citizen who is well aware of my surroundings. With that being said, I think the next step for the U.S should be prevention in other ways then taking away guns.
What I think many people fail to understand is that making guns illegal will not end all gun use. For example, drugs are illegal, yet drug abuse still remains a huge problem in the United States.
Educating teachers to recognize early signs of those emotional disturbed, and incorporating anti violence campaigns schools and colleges would be very beneficial.
Seeing the horrible consequence of people’s actions really has opened my eyes to the endless possibilities of violence in America. I hope that the government will soon open their eyes to the endless possibilities they have to prevent such a tragedy from ever happening again.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy