STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: How to Prevent Another Disaster

howling wolf
The current tragedy of the Newtown School shooting will go down in history and be remembered and mourned for years to come. Not only did it hit all of our hearts, but it also hit a very important issue, gun control. What can we, as a country, do to ensure that something of this caliber will ever happen again. Though this is all opinion. I believe that my reasoning is the best.
The first thing Congress should do is become more strict on who can be sold a gun. No gun should be issued to anyone with any kind of criminal record. That means ANY kind of criminal record. I believe that criminals are treated with too much mercy. I am not saying that criminals should be outcasted from all civilization, but they should be from owning a gun. It just does not make sense to hand what could be used as a deadly weopon to a former criminal. I know that there are rules about this kind of thing but that is precisely the issue. There should be no "rules" or "regulations", criminals owning guns should just be illegal, period. That is one thing that would prevent more murders.
Another thing that should be handled are the types of guns issued to common civilians. It is my firm belief that there should be no gun other than a pistol issued to the common consumer. It is perfect for self-defense, hunting, and other uses. However, the best thing about this would be that if it were used for murderous intent, it is less dangerous than a machine gun. The criminal could only shoot one bullet at a time while surround civilians had enough time to stop him before firing once more. Not to mention that if a person was hit it is very unlikely that from a pistol the wound would be fatal, it could be treated. This would also mean that any gun above a low-grade pistol would be strictly for military use only. It is no question that one of the main problems that causes shootings is the availability of overlly powerful guns to almost anyone. Changing the selection to one pistol would be more than enough. Gun collectors would be mad, but that should not matter. All that matters is that we are saving lives.
Though I have only listed two, they are both highly logical. If Congress would pass these two laws immediatly, we would see a changed country. I think that some people just refuse to admit that guns are dangerous. Hopefully though, after the tearfully awful events that took place in that classroom, we can change some minds and make the United States a safer place for everyone.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy