My Thoughts on Newtown: How to Prevent Another Disaster

howling wolf
The current tragedy of the Newtown School shooting will go down in history and be remembered and mourned for years to come. Not only did it hit all of our hearts, but it also hit a very important issue, gun control. What can we, as a country, do to ensure that something of this caliber will ever happen again. Though this is all opinion. I believe that my reasoning is the best.
The first thing Congress should do is become more strict on who can be sold a gun. No gun should be issued to anyone with any kind of criminal record. That means ANY kind of criminal record. I believe that criminals are treated with too much mercy. I am not saying that criminals should be outcasted from all civilization, but they should be from owning a gun. It just does not make sense to hand what could be used as a deadly weopon to a former criminal. I know that there are rules about this kind of thing but that is precisely the issue. There should be no "rules" or "regulations", criminals owning guns should just be illegal, period. That is one thing that would prevent more murders.
Another thing that should be handled are the types of guns issued to common civilians. It is my firm belief that there should be no gun other than a pistol issued to the common consumer. It is perfect for self-defense, hunting, and other uses. However, the best thing about this would be that if it were used for murderous intent, it is less dangerous than a machine gun. The criminal could only shoot one bullet at a time while surround civilians had enough time to stop him before firing once more. Not to mention that if a person was hit it is very unlikely that from a pistol the wound would be fatal, it could be treated. This would also mean that any gun above a low-grade pistol would be strictly for military use only. It is no question that one of the main problems that causes shootings is the availability of overlly powerful guns to almost anyone. Changing the selection to one pistol would be more than enough. Gun collectors would be mad, but that should not matter. All that matters is that we are saving lives.
Though I have only listed two, they are both highly logical. If Congress would pass these two laws immediatly, we would see a changed country. I think that some people just refuse to admit that guns are dangerous. Hopefully though, after the tearfully awful events that took place in that classroom, we can change some minds and make the United States a safer place for everyone.