My Thoughts on Newtown: People are Evil, Guns are Not

Sarakilloug12
The school shooting in Newtown, CT was a very tragic event that touch many of our lives. The young boy that committed these actions was a very troubled individual, who had access to weapons he shouldn't have. I don't really know the solution to gun violence, but taking away the public's ammunition and guns is not the way to go about things. If making things illegal would stop criminals then we wouldn't have things like theft, violence, or illegal drugs. If the government makes guns illegal, the public that use the guns for things such as hunting or defense will not have access them, and the people who are using them for the wrong reasons will still have them in their possession. The government could do things to try and limit access by running background checks before allowing someone to purchase a gun.
Schools no longer feels safe. Anyone can come on a school campus. Schools have little security and even some teachers cannot be trusted. Which is one of the reasons that I do not think teachers should be allowed to carry a concealed weapon. Instead the schools need to enforce more security by hiring security guards or installing more cameras inside and out. If you have a guard in every building guarding the doors it may help children and teachers feel more secure at school. The schools could have only 1 entrance with metal detectors and that would help to control what is allowed on campus. Putting up gates with ID entrance cards is also another idea to help with school security.
I do think mental health is part of the issue. Who has access to guns is a big part of the core issue. If you are a convicted felon or have a mental health issue you shouldn't be allowed to purchase or own a gun. First person shooter games could be a factor in our cracked culture, because children are acting out killing someone. Even though these games are supposed to be for 18 or older young children are playing them. Harmful music lyrics could also play a role in this issue due to the profanity and violent acts that artist are singing about. All the exposure to violence and cursing at such a young age can be confusing to a child's mind when they are learning what is right and what is wrong.
There really isn't much we can do to control gun violence besides trying to implement more security and control who has access to them more effectively. Taking weapons away will just hurt the ones who would use them for the right purposes. The school shooting has raised our awareness of gun safety and it has also made us aware of the unexpected horrific events that can take place in our country.