My thoughts on Newtown: We need a new approach

hysshin
They were just children. Children too young to do any harm in the world, too little to understand that it wasn’t their fault. I was their age just years ago, and my biggest worry back then had been coloring inside the lines. But those children ended up losing their lives, leaving with teachers who died trying to protect their students. And today, so many children from Newtown are now living victims, witnesses of their own friends’ deaths. Those children had a whole life ahead of them. The whole situation raises the question of why. Why shoot those innocent children? Was he seeking revenge? Did he need to take out his anger? Each question leads to nowhere. In other shootings throughout our nation’s history, the reason was known. In the Columbine shooting, the two students responsible were bullied; they had a reason. At the very least, we understood why, an explanation that somehow brought comfort. But in Newtown, it seems only innocent children, the essence of innocence, were killed with no purpose.
It’s weird to see the direction our media attention has been focused. The United States has already had five shootings in 2013 alone, yet none have gained as much attention as the Newton shooting. According to a 2012 study done by the New York Police Department, shootings in big cities such as Chicago occur at such a rate that they’ve become an ignored norm. And in 2013 alone, we’ve had five shootings in the United States already, yet none have made a media circus. Plus, any shooting activity that occurs in more dangerous neighborhoods fails to be widely known, especially not in areas known for being safe, like Newtown was. Even in my district, most people can’t name a shooting besides the infamous ones like Tucson or Virginia Tech. Truthfully, even I only know the ones that I’ve seen on TV.
I’m afraid this shows how I believe too much that I’m safe, that I live in my own Newtown. I even live in a suburb identical to Newtown. The police are trusted and the area is known for no dangerous activity. One would think that after Newtown, I would have a new approach to life and stand more on guard. But my town is known for being a piece of the “Northshore Bubble.” Those in the “Northshore Bubble” are notorious for living safe and comfortable lives, oblivious to the nation’s struggles. The greatest thing we have to worry about is finding a new case for our iPhones. After the shooting, my own school simply had a moment of silence. Afterwards, there was little to do about the shooting. My friends and I never even discussed it. Unfortunately, I don’t like the idea of it, but at the same time, it’s true. We’ve already moved on. When the mourning is all done and the gun control debate has simmered down, there’s not much left to do but keep going. And I guess that’s really all that we can do.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura