STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: Tragedy Will Always Exist

lvest
You should have seen me when I went to see the Dark Knight Rises. It was the midnight premier, and I was decked out in my long black cape, iron-studded boots, utility belt, and limited edition Batman mask. I entered the theater knowing that I could look as nerdy as I pleased, and no one would know my identity. Unfortunately, I was quickly asked by an employee to remove the mask. I thought to myself, “Why would they suspect some kid like me to cause trouble?”

The film was incredible. It had all the action and violence that I had hoped to see. I laughed in the faces of the enemies who fell. It was great entertainment. I fell asleep that night satisfied that good had once again triumphed over evil.

Deadly Massacre In Colorado. Theater Shooting Leaves Twelve Dead. Those were the kinds of headlines that greeted me in the morning. The photos of families devastated by the tragedy haunted my mind, but the thing that most disturbed me was that I was in the same situation that those innocent people had been in. The same massacre could easily have happened where I was located. I pushed the thought aside, and knew this would not happen again soon.

Surely enough it did happen again, and it occurred in the most innocent place on earth: a grade school. I look at the men responsible for the deaths in Aurora and Newtown, and I ask myself: What caused them to act? How could they have been stopped? After the Newtown shooting, it was suggested that men who want attention choose to follow the path of infamy. The media was blamed for glorifying these murderers with thousands of television programs and newspaper articles. It was also said that people who commit these crimes are just insane, and that is that.

I believe the reality is that some of these criminals want attention. Some of them are insane. Some of them have motives behind their acts. If the criminal wants attention, make it so that the media will not glorify these stories. If the person is insane, strengthen the nation’s mental institutions. There is no single precaution that can be taken to solve the problem.

Banning assault weapons will not reduce crime rate. Rather, it will create a country where guns are sold illegally like drugs. On the street, someone might approach me and offer me a gun. In that scenario, I would fear for my safety.

Rather than regulate guns, more states should enact conceal-and-carry laws. In the Aurora movie theater, any individual with a gun could have stopped the shooter. Lives may have been saved. I could have woken up that morning assured that evil had been defeated. More guns may cause more shootings, but these guns in possession of rational individuals will insure safety. Batman is hunted by the law, but he saves. Guns are dangerous, but they, too, can be used to save.
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:27:26 PM
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 4:06:42 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy