My thoughts on Newtown: Tragedy Will Always Exist

lvest
You should have seen me when I went to see the Dark Knight Rises. It was the midnight premier, and I was decked out in my long black cape, iron-studded boots, utility belt, and limited edition Batman mask. I entered the theater knowing that I could look as nerdy as I pleased, and no one would know my identity. Unfortunately, I was quickly asked by an employee to remove the mask. I thought to myself, “Why would they suspect some kid like me to cause trouble?”

The film was incredible. It had all the action and violence that I had hoped to see. I laughed in the faces of the enemies who fell. It was great entertainment. I fell asleep that night satisfied that good had once again triumphed over evil.

Deadly Massacre In Colorado. Theater Shooting Leaves Twelve Dead. Those were the kinds of headlines that greeted me in the morning. The photos of families devastated by the tragedy haunted my mind, but the thing that most disturbed me was that I was in the same situation that those innocent people had been in. The same massacre could easily have happened where I was located. I pushed the thought aside, and knew this would not happen again soon.

Surely enough it did happen again, and it occurred in the most innocent place on earth: a grade school. I look at the men responsible for the deaths in Aurora and Newtown, and I ask myself: What caused them to act? How could they have been stopped? After the Newtown shooting, it was suggested that men who want attention choose to follow the path of infamy. The media was blamed for glorifying these murderers with thousands of television programs and newspaper articles. It was also said that people who commit these crimes are just insane, and that is that.

I believe the reality is that some of these criminals want attention. Some of them are insane. Some of them have motives behind their acts. If the criminal wants attention, make it so that the media will not glorify these stories. If the person is insane, strengthen the nation’s mental institutions. There is no single precaution that can be taken to solve the problem.

Banning assault weapons will not reduce crime rate. Rather, it will create a country where guns are sold illegally like drugs. On the street, someone might approach me and offer me a gun. In that scenario, I would fear for my safety.

Rather than regulate guns, more states should enact conceal-and-carry laws. In the Aurora movie theater, any individual with a gun could have stopped the shooter. Lives may have been saved. I could have woken up that morning assured that evil had been defeated. More guns may cause more shootings, but these guns in possession of rational individuals will insure safety. Batman is hunted by the law, but he saves. Guns are dangerous, but they, too, can be used to save.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:27:26 PM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura