My Thoughts on Newtown: The Road to Recovery

codster7
Understand when you read this, what happened at Newtown was a tragedy. I believe that wholeheartedly. With that being said, it was better that it happened sooner rather than later. It brought the issue of gun violence into the forefront of every American household with a television. It made people look at the issue, examine their own views, and reevaluate their opinion.
Automatic weapons are dangerous, there’s no denying it. Our Army squadrons, SWAT teams, and every organization in between use automatics. Does the average hunter really need an AK-47? Don’t misunderstand me, my aim is not the best either, but I don’t need an automatic weapon to shoot a bear. Also, certain gun modifications should be illegal because those are really just ways to bend gun laws. I am 15; I can look on Craigslist and buy an assault rifle from my high school computer. When this madness has been turned into reality, something is terribly wrong.
Furthermore, how much ammunition is really necessary in one clip? A person does not need a 100 round belt magazine or even a 35 round magazine. Ten rounds should be enough, 15 should be the maximum needed, and that’s only if you have really bad aim or a really fast trigger finger. Then there is the next question: how many guns does one really need? Ten? Twenty? Fifty? One hundred? No, a single person doe not need more than five guns at a time; an ordinary individual does not need their own personal armory.
We need to crack down on gun licenses, dealers, and owners. Laws that require permits and background checks would help. I understand it’s irrational to try to destroy the black market in a day, but we need to make it near impossible for the wrong person to arm themselves. Convicted felons and the mentally ill should not be able to obtain firearms. No exceptions. That will help the health and safety of America as a whole.
Hopefully we will take away something from the tragedy at Newtown. We can implement some of my ideas; use them to prevent more shootings, resolve issues, and save lives. We can never get the people who died back, but we can prevent future deaths. With some luck and compromise, maybe we can pave the road to recovery sooner rather than later.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:04:29 PM