My Thoughts on Newtown: the Gun does not Control the Shooter

sarah.wood
The use of guns has increased in the past five years. You have heard about shootings from the media recently. The most recent shooting was at Sandy Hook Elementary. That shooting took many students and teachers lives. To help with this situation you need to know the need for gun control, help with school security, and teachers having the right to carry a gun. Guns should be monitored though. Gun control is a major crisis in the U.S. right now. Gun control is an effort to stop the rise in violent crime by making laws stronger on the ownership of firearms. Those in favor of gun control believe gun control is good, that the Second Amendment does not apply to regular people, and guns should be taken from criminals. People who are against gun control believe it is a violation to out constitutional rights. Gun regulations are necessary actions that need to be taken in order to save lives. Improving school security is not as simple as just hiring a guard for the doors. A good way to secure your schools is giving students a safe anonymous way to tell authority figures about guns, drugs, etc. in school. Schools should hire security professionals to observe the school and tell administrators ways to improve the school. School security should also be one of the top things on the budget list. Student safety is very important. In my rough draft of this essay I wrote about how I think it would be okay if teachers carried guns to school if they had the proper training. As my peers reviewed my essay they kept talking about how I was crazy for thinking of how it would be okay for teachers to have a gun in school. They stated how students can over power the teacher and use the weapon against them. Others told me that a teacher could snap at us and in the moment just pull a gun out. I highly doubt a teacher would pull out a gun on one of their students, no matter how bad they would like too. I do agree with the fact of a student over powering the teacher. So my opinion has changed on teachers having the right to have a gun on school grounds. Gun control should be limited. It should only be limited for certain people though. Someone in the armed forces, who has been trained and tested, should be able to have a gun. Gun regulations help save lives. To make schools safe from harm schools need good security systems. Teachers should not be able to have a gun at school even if they are licensed. What people do need to understand though is even if you take guns away people will still kill others. Guns do not make people go crazy. Guns are not the cause for deaths, the crazy people behind the guns are.