Newtown essay: Do you feel safe in your school or work?

Linda Estrada
Linda Estrada January 18,2013 Period 4
My thoughts on Newtown: Do you feel safe in your school?
Bang! Bang! Bang! I would hear that almost everyday of my childhood days. Do you feel safe in your school campus or out of school campus? I didn’t feel safe two to three years ago in my neighborhood. The reason why is because there were so many gangs and violence around my house. Now I feel safe walking around my neighborhood with no worries. Do you really feel safe when you walk up in down your neighborhood?
I didn’t feel safe like two or three years ago in my school. In my neighborhood we always had gangs so we always had a noisy neighborhood. The gangbangers always had problems with people. For example, if they see someone trying to sell food or snacks to anyone they well make them pay half of what they make that same day. We always hear guns shots either at night or mid day. There was a lot of people using drugs and drinking alcohol everyday for no reason at all. Even in school hours. Everyday afterschool there was always someone that wanted to fight someone just because of the gang or crew they where from. There was always someone who got jacked by someone in the streets. Never was there a day that I felt safe with a chain on walking down the street. Students at school always found a way to keep doing drugs in campus. They didn’t care at all about school. I remember so many students got expelled or suspended from school because of fighting or they get caught with drugs on them.
I feel very safe in school now. We have a lot more police surrounding our campus. Since a lot of people got locked up went to jail, juvenile or placement my neighborhood got really calm. There are really nomore fights between gangs or crews. Not a lot of people use drugs now. We now have more students that go to school and don’t ditch it as often as they used to. Everything is different now that some people are locked up in jail or something because all you hear now is silence, laughter, happiness or once a while gun shots and not much fighting. Its not like it used to be anymore. People now are not as scared walking down the street alone. I think it’s sad to know that people had to go to jail in order for violence to stop in order for everyone to stop being scared. I think since there are more teenagers graduating this year and they all want to graduate. They don’t want to be known as “the guy that dropped out” or “the girl who didn’t graduate” so they got more into school then fighting, smoking or getting into gangs.
I wonder how well my neighborhood change in a year or so. Well it stay how it is now or well it just change back to the way it was two or three years ago? I didn’t feel safe because there were so many gangs and violence in my neighborhood. But everything changed now that some people had to get locked up. My neighborhood is nice and kind of quiet. Now all we have to do is keep this neighborhood safe to live in. Is it safe in your neighborhood?