My Thoughts on Newtown & Gun Control

Brandy Cauthen
So many shootings have occurred within the last year that there is not enough time for any heart to heal without being broken again. Parents, as well as close friends, have lost someone who meant so much to them for no reason. Innocent lives have been taken due to not having enough safety. Many people question why the government has not taken away guns. Some simply want an answer why their family. But most of all, we all wonder why these tragedies cannot be stopped.
In my opinion, I do believe there are various ways this world could improve safety. Schools should have a security guard for every building on campus as well as security at every entrance. Yes, this is a lot to ask for but to save kids lives, it is worth it. At my current high school, I do not feel as safe as a student should simply because we have one security guard for our whole campus. If three shooters entered campus at different angles but at the same time, how would one guard protect our students? Some ask why teachers are not permitted to carry weapons during school. Simple; one angry student knowing about the weapon could open more danger for others.
Speaking of danger, I do have opinions on certain people being able o own a gun. Every person’s background should be checked annually in order to have a gun in their possession. Mental patients, alcoholics, fighters, kids, and abusive humans should not own a gun throughout their lifetime. However, kids should not even learn how to hold a gun until they reach the age of 21. Children and teenagers of younger age can experience bullying and knowing how to operate a gun can lead to a shooting.
The main question remains as will our guns be taken because of others stupidity? Personally, I do believe in gun control only to a certain point, that is. Taking away everyone’s guns will do nothing but anger more humans and cause more danger for this world. As I mentioned earlier, only certain people should be able to purchase guns and these people should have an updated background check every year.
As my opinion was given, I hope to help as far as answering questions. I think there are many ways to improve safety. Although these suggestions will cause much work, it would help tremendously.