My Thoughts on Newtown: School Safety Concerns

Kramirez528
Kimberly Ramirez
1/31/13
Period: 4
My thoughts on Newtown:
School Safety Concerns

On December 14, 2012 twenty children and six adults were killed. An elementary school shooting caused by a twenty-year-old man. No one is sure why he actually committed this horrifying massacre. This changed the mentality in parents and people around the continent about school safety. I do not feel safe at school because of hearing the horrifying news about school shootings. Does anyone feel safe anymore at school or does it matter to anyone? I’m horrified about what can happen in my school today.

Trade Tech College is an open fence environment where anyone can enter. I do not feel safe in the college for many reasons. There are many people that are walking around, no one is to be sure who is a criminal or not. Anyone eighteen and over allowed to attend college. Many people cannot assume who does not belong on campus. For example, I was walking to apply for college classes and a man tried talking to me. He asked me questions that I felt uncomfortable to answer. I immediately went inside the office safe and sound. There are many security guards walking around campus, but they are training to become better. No one is can be sure if they are aware of how to handle their job. It would be a much safer environment if actual police officers would walk around campus.

I felt safe at my old high school campus. It was a smaller campus, and more supervisors were around. Sometimes the staff would have random searches for the safety of the students. In these random searches they would find many inappropriate items, like pocketknives, and drugs. I think it’s a great idea for random searches to occur because it is much safer and security can take away stuff that is not allowed on campus. Even though many people have personal stuff they do not want others to see, they should always think their safety is first. Another reason I felt safe was because there was a fence around the school campus. In that way intruders would not be able to enter. The only entrance people can come in school is the front door that a supervisor would manage who has permission to enter. This is much safer than having anyone be able to have an advantage to enter.

In conclusion, no one is sure what can happen anytime of the day. I do not feel safe at school, and I know people who don’t feel safe to. It should be safe at schools because that is the place where there should be no one to take the time to cause a horrifying event. Experts should know or plan what they can do to make schools safer. Even if they are little changes, any change counts. If someone looks suspicious do something about it like call the cops, or someone who can tell you if it is unsafe. Safety in people should always be first.