My Thoughts on Newtown: School Safety Concerns

Kimberly Ramirez
Period: 4
My thoughts on Newtown:
School Safety Concerns

On December 14, 2012 twenty children and six adults were killed. An elementary school shooting caused by a twenty-year-old man. No one is sure why he actually committed this horrifying massacre. This changed the mentality in parents and people around the continent about school safety. I do not feel safe at school because of hearing the horrifying news about school shootings. Does anyone feel safe anymore at school or does it matter to anyone? I’m horrified about what can happen in my school today.

Trade Tech College is an open fence environment where anyone can enter. I do not feel safe in the college for many reasons. There are many people that are walking around, no one is to be sure who is a criminal or not. Anyone eighteen and over allowed to attend college. Many people cannot assume who does not belong on campus. For example, I was walking to apply for college classes and a man tried talking to me. He asked me questions that I felt uncomfortable to answer. I immediately went inside the office safe and sound. There are many security guards walking around campus, but they are training to become better. No one is can be sure if they are aware of how to handle their job. It would be a much safer environment if actual police officers would walk around campus.

I felt safe at my old high school campus. It was a smaller campus, and more supervisors were around. Sometimes the staff would have random searches for the safety of the students. In these random searches they would find many inappropriate items, like pocketknives, and drugs. I think it’s a great idea for random searches to occur because it is much safer and security can take away stuff that is not allowed on campus. Even though many people have personal stuff they do not want others to see, they should always think their safety is first. Another reason I felt safe was because there was a fence around the school campus. In that way intruders would not be able to enter. The only entrance people can come in school is the front door that a supervisor would manage who has permission to enter. This is much safer than having anyone be able to have an advantage to enter.

In conclusion, no one is sure what can happen anytime of the day. I do not feel safe at school, and I know people who don’t feel safe to. It should be safe at schools because that is the place where there should be no one to take the time to cause a horrifying event. Experts should know or plan what they can do to make schools safer. Even if they are little changes, any change counts. If someone looks suspicious do something about it like call the cops, or someone who can tell you if it is unsafe. Safety in people should always be first.

About StageofLife.comAbout Us: is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month. is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.