My Thoughts on Newtown: Should We Change Our Gun Laws?

JennieMarieSanchez
In the wake of the Newtown shooting and many other school massacres, people are questioning whether or not gun control is needed. Many people would argue that gun control is not needed because, if used correctly, guns are used as self-defense. However, many of us already know that most guns are used for more dangerous reasons. I believe that people should be permitted to own guns but there should be stricter gun laws. Everyone has the right to own a gun, but there should be more laws that help make owning a gun safer for the public.

According to the Second Amendment, we have the right to bear arms, but it seems as though these guns are sold to almost anybody. Special training is not necessary when owning a gun, which makes purchasing one that much easier. I believe, in order to own a gun, a person should have some type of training before purchasing a weapon. Doctors go through years of practice and school before they are able to see patients. People who own guns should be asked to truly understand their power.

The government should know who owns these guns and how they are being used. There should be more thorough background checks for people who try to purchase these weapons. Most guns in California need to be registered, but no permit is required to have one. Much like owning a car, gun licenses should be needed to own a gun. If gun licenses were given, the government would have more knowledge of who owns these weapons.

Another tougher law would be a ban on military style weapons. Military style weapons are used in combat and should not be handed to civilians. It is a good idea to ban military style weapons, because putting a military weapon in the hands of an unsafe and dangerous human can cause great harm to our communities. These types of guns are intended to kill and in no way, should be given to common civilians. With no experience on how to use these weapons, these people do not understand the power they have.

In conclusion, I believe there should be stricter laws that go into purchasing a gun. Anyone who purchases a gun should have special training to prove they are capable of handling a weapon. Gun licenses should be given and showed upon, when purchasing a gun to prove they are eligible to own one. And finally, the last law that would help keep our communities safe would be to ban military style weapons, because this would keep deadly weapons out of the hands of a dangerous person. I believe these new laws will take into effect and help owning and purchasing a gun safer for everyone.