My thoughts on Newtown: Will this stop?

d.gabbie8
Gabriela Delgado
1/31/13
Period: 4
My thoughts on Newtown:
Will this stop?
“For fun, because it is fun” is what Tim Kretschmer answered after being asked why had he murdered the children from his former secondary school in Winnenden. On March 11,2009, Kretschmer murdered a total of 15 people, different places all in one day. It’s very difficult to believe there is enough security to prevent these types of aggressions. Having trained securities at schools can make a change to these incidents. Also, weapons authorized to teachers in case of an emergency can be helpful, but risky at the same time.
I don’t think there’s much of anything we can do to prevent this type of attack, but we can try to stop it.

We can’t do much to stop a shooting from happening, but we can lower the possibilities. Having trained security can help because they’d know what to do in that situation. Metal detector doors can alert an officer if someone’s carrying a weapon. Lockdowns can be helpful by locking down doors safely, not letting the shooter get in nor out to get away. Whether it comes to checking people for mental health or just having drills at school to prepare for a horrifying event, we should all be cautious of how to be safe. It is important to figure out ways that can help protect a citizen’s life.

Safety comes first and we wish that killings could stop but that’s almost impossible. A shooting can happen anywhere and anytime. Schools have been the main target and there have been many deaths because they lack protection. It may be a smart choice for teachers to carry guns or bulletproof vests in case of a shooting. Although, a teacher carrying a gun can be useful and helpful, it can also be a huge risk because they themselves can start a shooting out of anger or a bad day. There are teachers who can’t tolerate students all the time and don’t know what to do with them, and if a gun were to be placed in their hand, they’d probably shoot the students. If students have thoughts of hurting a teacher, why wouldn’t a teacher be fed up and also want to hurt a student, or the whole class? I’m making this point to show that it’s almost impossible to control violent use of guns.

In conclusion, I am impressed on how people are aware of this situation and are open to many options on how to lower the possibilities from shootings happening anywhere. Even though there are many ways to stop this, it just won’t. There are too many people in this world and we don’t know their mental health, and even with guns being banned, there’s a variety of ways on how to get a hold of one. This is why I believe there is no specific way these tragedies can be stopped.