My thoughts on Newtown: School Safety & Security

JoeyThePoet
Joel Sanchez Amaya

Should teachers be allowed to carry guns on school premises? I personally think they should not be able to. Teachers might take extreme measures if they were armed. Improving security increases safety for the students and teachers. Teachers should not be allowed to carry concealed weapons on school grounds, and increasing the security in school will help prevent tragedies, like in Newtown.
Teachers shouldn’t carry concealed weapons. If teachers acquire a gun they might let their emotions take over them in the classroom. If a teacher is having a bad day, a student can blurt out an unpleasant comment that would upset the teacher, and that teacher would open fire on the students. Whether it is anger or depression, a teacher might use the weapon in the wrong way. For example, in 7th grade, my class and I drove our teacher CRAZY. In class, we would be disrespectful, disruptive, and would refuse to do work. We would drive him past his boiling point. We made him develop an eating disorder as well. He hated us with a passion, no doubt about it. If he were allowed to have a concealed weapon, he might have opened fire, and his rage could have lead to one of us being shot. Teachers aren’t properly trained to use firearms; they’re trained to teach.
Better security would best benefit school safety. A way to increase school safety is to install metal detectors in schools. This prevents any type of metal weapons from entering school grounds. Thorough searches can also contribute to safety, making sure nothing illegal is in the possession of the students. Backpack and pat down searches are effective in keeping schools safe. In my old school, we had random searches. No one liked them, but everyone knew it was for our safety. Some kids were caught with knives, mini hammers, and other illegal objects. If it weren’t for those random searches, someone could have gotten seriously injured.
Teachers should not take matters into their own hands but the district should increase security. Teachers might use the weapons in the wrong way, and those teachers might harm the students instead of protecting them. Increasing security not only increases the safety of the students, but also the parent’s trust in the school keeping their children safe. What do we do now you might ask? Petition and get the school district to issue metal detectors to schools, and get the schools to increase security by doing random searches.