My Thoughts On Newtown: There's No Way Out

Romeskies21
By:Romario J. Flores
My Thoughts On Newtown: There’s No Way Out

After the Newtown school shooting, what measures are you willing to take? Some suggest for teachers to carry guns, others are blaming video games. The NRA’s CEO and EVP Wayne LaPierre proposes for police officers or security to be appointed to every school in the nation. Some people argue that even that won’t be enough because schools are getting bigger, which means there won’t be a sufficient amount of law enforcement. All these opinions could be of consideration but I think that no matter what solution they come up with, it’s still going to be useless.
Mr. LaPierre suggests for police officers to secure and look after our schools. He claims, “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.” He is launching the “National School Shield” training program at no cost to help schools train security personnel and staff and develop security plans. Ok, considering his program, obviously there would be thousands of people that will be hired for this job. Of those thousands, how many could be capable of creating another mass murder? I mean their employer could preform background checks and they could be clean, but they still won’t know the true identity and the capability of the individual they’re hiring.
Of the thousands of staff that would be employed, how many would be assigned to each school? There are more schools being built each and every day. They’re also getting bigger. Elementary schools are looking like high schools. Let’s say at least one officer is located in every school. There are many entrances to a school. It would take some time for the officer to go from point A to point B. By then the shooter would have killed a number of people before the officer can get a hold of the situation. When I went to George Washington Carver middle school it was pretty big. There are so many entrances in that school and it could easily be a target for a shooter. What makes it easier for a shooter to just go inside and terrorize the school is the lack of security. They do have a police officer on campus and other staff, but they’re also inside buildings looking out for students who might be ditching class. It would take valuable time for one of them to reach the shooter in time and stop him or her.
Finally will police officers and security at each school be enough to prevent another shooting? Would making schools smaller and hiring more security be enough? I think it would because people would feel much safer knowing there’s some sort of authority out there protecting their children. What if that plan fails? Would we go on to the next strategy until we get it right? But by then, how many of our loved ones may have already died? Soon we would be living in fear and scared to go outside because you don’t know who might shoot up a place for any random purpose. Just like Ted Bundy said, “We all get a little mad sometimes.” Where do we go from here when this “little mad” takes over and starts innocent people?