My Thoughts on Newtown: Newtown Essay

SEKOO
Diaz Angel
1/31/13
Per.4

My thoughts on Newtown: Desensitization.

I watched my friend kill seven people. He got shot a couple of times but not enough to bring him down. Dodging lots of bullets, the people trying to kill him didn’t know he was only getting smarter about staying alive. A grenade landed about 13 feet from him. He survived but all he heard was a long beep sound. As he began to feel his enemies surrounding him, and death creeping up, he threw two grenades randomly towards his enemies. After he died, he screamed as if the video game he was playing actually was real life. All he needed to do was to press “ x “ on his Xbox 360 controller to spawn again and start another killing streak.

Violent shooting games might be the cause to these massacres. Gamers will soon notice and realize that it isn’t that hard to kill people in the real world. In the game, you actually get rewarded for the amount of kills you get. More kills equals more points and unlocks for your favorite gun like, a silencer, or a grenade launcher you earn to make your gun stronger. The primary guns in this game are assault rifles. There’s no surprise if crazy people who play online shooting games would like to buy one of their own when they have the chance.

The game isn’t only an online player mode. Just like every other shooting game, it has a story to it. And most of the missions you have to complete in order to move on with the story aren’t pretty. In fact, their missions are much like the recent massacres we’ve had. One of the missions you have to complete involves killing innocent people at an airport for no reason. You literally have to kill as many citizens as you can to complete it and move on to the next one. Yes, I know it’s just a video game, but maybe this is where it all began.

I, myself play Call of Duty also. The difference is, every time I die, you wont hear me scream out bad words to the person that kills me. Almost all male teenagers play video games, but some of them take it to the next level. Most of the time I play online, I can easily notice which gamer isn’t all there in the head just by hearing the tone of their voice. Also, what really scares me is when you listen to them talk to their family the same way he talks to the people online. In my opinion, if we really want to prevent these insane massacres from happening again, we should really focus on the people who always play video games, and have any sort of anger management problem.

Maybe it is these violent crazy video games. Where else would you get rewarded for killing people? Well, the army but, that’s a whole different story. Killing innocent people is one of the saddest things someone can do. Tragedies like the Aurora movie theater shooting, and the Connecticut elementary school shooting, leave families depressed for the rest of their lives. No one can predict the future, but then again, I don’t think these insane shootings will ever end. The only really thing we can do, is to pray to god these massacres don’t happen again.