My thoughts on Newtown: Guns Don’t Kill People, People Kill People

BriDaSilva
This travesty at Newtown has raised many questions about school safety, gun control, mental illness, and violence portrayed in the media. Stricter gun control laws are not the answer. Many who purchase guns to accomplish heinous acts do so illegally. To deprive law abiding citizens of their second amendment right to bear arms when there is no evidence of any will or plans of causing violence would be downright unconstitutional. However, I do support making background checks more thorough and disallowing those with household members having a history of mental illness the ability to own a gun. Not only for other’s safety but for the safety of the mentally ill themselves.
In general I think a person would be less likely to commit a crime if they knew multiple people in the vicinity were carrying weapons. If teachers in the school are able to sufficiently pass a background check and gun safety course and are willing, they should be able to protect their school and students. Furthermore, intruders would be less likely to enter a building if they knew that law officers routinely patrolled public schools. This would cut down on the violence and crimes that occur at school.
In addition, first person shooting video games and “harmful” music lyrics are not to blame for our culture’s desensitization to violence. Our society does not consider violence in the same light we used to; we no longer have an unquestionable standard of what is right and what is wrong. The world is just not black and white anymore. We’ve grown up in a world that wages war on itself; violence is seen as power and not socially sanctioned. Some human beings are cruel to each other for fun, out of spite, and some take pleasure in hurting others. People can suffer on our doorstep, yet we turn our backs on them, turning a blind eye, on topics we deem less than pleasant. We should focus closer to home when we look for what causes people to do this to our fellow human beings. We owe our children and our future a better way of life.
Therefore we have to first change ourselves, we have to worry less about “me” and more about “us” as a society. We have to fight as a human race and strive to find a way out of this gray haze violence puts us in, to once again outline our tolerances in black and white. Political agendas need to be thrown out; tragedies like Newtown should not be tolerated. Innocent lives were lost, these children will not experience the joys of a full life and that is unacceptable! Let’s stop bickering about hidden agendas and conspiracies and acknowledge we have a problem, not just in Newtown, but in the world and in ourselves.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura