My Thoughts on Newtown: Where do we go after Newton?

jnc16
Fear is defined to be an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat. After the tragedy that occurred in Newtown Connecticut the United States was left with confusion, anger and profound sadness. Immediately following the shooting the media amplified to the public with ideas of gun control regulation. Naturally, establishing a stronger gun control policy is one resolution which was amplified by several forms of media. The idea that a stricter gun control policy will keep school shootings is an uncertain assumption. In order to move forward from the Newtown catastrophe America must address the root of the problem which I believe is embedded in American Culture. We must inquire about the fundamental belief for guns in our society so as to understand how to prevent events such as Newton, Columbine, and Columbine from ever happening again.

The preventative measures by which one has to distance themselves from fear can be debilitating. It is my opinion that the United States functions out of a fear of the other which is the source to why situations like Newtown occur. Exemplified through the media, often times the local news reports on recent robberies, rape, homicides which install a present fear about themselves everywhere they go. Television shows like Criminal Minds, Law and Order, NCIS, maintain the idea that the country we live in is a dangerous place and that self protection should be mandatory.

A preventative measure to avoid school shootings would be to demand that television shows that depict violence be subdued. Due to fear being so deeply instilled into this nation, I am essentially proposing a different way of thinking which could take years to learn and incorporate. I believe a combination of enforcing a national gun policy and censored media would be an optimal place to begin. Following these preventative measures, schools should take responsibility for the opportunity to young students about gun safety. I also think that parents have an important role to play with regards to gun control. If parents choose to inform their children about gun control, following generations may be more aware of the severity of guns.

To conclude, I firmly believe that in order to solve a problem, understanding the underlying problems will help in finding a resolution. Where do we go from here? A amalgamation of responsible parents, education and media would be the first preventative steps in order to achieve a society free from fear and school shootings.