STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: Where do we go after Newton?

jnc16
Fear is defined to be an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat. After the tragedy that occurred in Newtown Connecticut the United States was left with confusion, anger and profound sadness. Immediately following the shooting the media amplified to the public with ideas of gun control regulation. Naturally, establishing a stronger gun control policy is one resolution which was amplified by several forms of media. The idea that a stricter gun control policy will keep school shootings is an uncertain assumption. In order to move forward from the Newtown catastrophe America must address the root of the problem which I believe is embedded in American Culture. We must inquire about the fundamental belief for guns in our society so as to understand how to prevent events such as Newton, Columbine, and Columbine from ever happening again.

The preventative measures by which one has to distance themselves from fear can be debilitating. It is my opinion that the United States functions out of a fear of the other which is the source to why situations like Newtown occur. Exemplified through the media, often times the local news reports on recent robberies, rape, homicides which install a present fear about themselves everywhere they go. Television shows like Criminal Minds, Law and Order, NCIS, maintain the idea that the country we live in is a dangerous place and that self protection should be mandatory.

A preventative measure to avoid school shootings would be to demand that television shows that depict violence be subdued. Due to fear being so deeply instilled into this nation, I am essentially proposing a different way of thinking which could take years to learn and incorporate. I believe a combination of enforcing a national gun policy and censored media would be an optimal place to begin. Following these preventative measures, schools should take responsibility for the opportunity to young students about gun safety. I also think that parents have an important role to play with regards to gun control. If parents choose to inform their children about gun control, following generations may be more aware of the severity of guns.

To conclude, I firmly believe that in order to solve a problem, understanding the underlying problems will help in finding a resolution. Where do we go from here? A amalgamation of responsible parents, education and media would be the first preventative steps in order to achieve a society free from fear and school shootings.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy