My Thoughts on Newtown: Knowledge and (Hopefully) an Eventual Compromise

mjo14@scasd.org
Before I start, I want to stress how little I actually know about guns, and the concepts of “gun control” and “the second amendment”. I know what the media has told me. A friend showed me how to shoot a rifle once at a shooting range. That was the only time I have ever been near a gun. Hopefully that explains how little I know.
Other than that, I understand about guns, gun control and the second amendment what I learned on that specific day, and on twenty four hour news cycles in the wake of three or four massacres at the hands of people with guns (which I have been told and do not doubt were meant for assault) In my honest opinion, this isn’t enough to form an opinion. I would like to ask how much the average student, or average interviewer/interviewee on the twenty four hour news cycle, actually know about the topics they are discussing. I’m not asking this to make a point, I’m asking this because I honestly don’t know, but am curious.
This is my personal conclusion. The problem with modern politics, including the issue in question, is that there are an infinite number of opinions being spouted, all equally as valid as the other. Looking at it as a matter of safety (which to be fair, is simplifying it) There are those who feel safer with a gun on hand at all times to protect them. Those who want to take their guns away from them are thus taking their safety away and putting these individuals in danger. For these people, it is safer to have a weapon. On the other hand, some people feel in danger when they know that any person they know or don’t know could have a weapon on them. Those who insist that they are wrong, are putting them in danger. This has been said before, but I’ll say it now as well, and I stand behind it; the only way for this situation to be dealt with is compromise, and each side understanding the other on a large scale, because as long as one of these many sides are angry, no ideas regardless of effectiveness are actually going to spread.
In my personal opinion, lack of compromise will result in a hypothetical tug of war match rather than actual effective change. If you ask me for the contents of the idea that will change our current situation, I wouldn’t be able to tell you, because I am no expert. I can’t imagine it being simple though. All I can say is that previous events prove that something needs to be done. I can’t do anything as long as I am in the dark, and I will be in the dark as long as our society plays a game of tug of war. It might seem like I am on the fence, but the way I see it, I am not. This is what I strongly believe.