My Thoughts on Newtown: Where Do We Go After Newtown

RadBlazer300
No doubt the events that occurred in Newtown, CT were some of the worst in recent memory. But the question still remains, where do we go from here? Some people believe that by banning guns altogether we can get rid of this. Some people believe that it is an intrusion of our rights. Others believe that more guns should be used to make sure we are protected. I am here to say that no one knows the answer whether we like it or not. We as humans will never be able to come together and find a solution that we all agree on. Thus making this situation unsolvable. But it never hurts to make suggestions, so here are some that I believe in.
First, I believe that unless you're currently fighting overseas, there should be no reason that you can legally obtain assault weapons. I say legally because there are always people who will find a way to get illegal weapons. But if we get rid of the legal option, that at least cuts down on the mainstream circulation of weapons. The last thing we need is to be able to buy an AR-15. I have yet to hear one good reason why we need assault weapons. People should be able to use a hunting rifle for sports, or maybe even a handgun. Personally I don’t like to have guns of any kind around me. But at least that way we can’t have arguments about people who want to stay “safe” or hunt. But some of the biggest trends in shooters has been their mental state.
When you think of the people who have been the perpetrators, what’s the first thing you think of? All the shooters have had something wrong mentally. Just look at Columbine, how about Virginia Tech? Aurora. They were not mentally healthy, then they were able to get guns legally and go bizerk. Then we sit there think why did this happen. Because the wrong people were able to get guns. But there was no way we would know that they were unstable, unless we give psych examinations. That we know that people who aren’t mentally stable don’t have guns. We could really cut down on these tragedies by making sure we really know the person that is being sold guns.
These plans are by no means foolproof. Because realistically there is no way we can find a permanent solution. But it is about time we stop shooting ourselves in the foot. I think we are doing more damage by doing nothing. I am very interested to see what our government decides to do about this situation. But whatever it is, it won’t be a popular one.