STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: Where Do We Go After Newtown

RadBlazer300
No doubt the events that occurred in Newtown, CT were some of the worst in recent memory. But the question still remains, where do we go from here? Some people believe that by banning guns altogether we can get rid of this. Some people believe that it is an intrusion of our rights. Others believe that more guns should be used to make sure we are protected. I am here to say that no one knows the answer whether we like it or not. We as humans will never be able to come together and find a solution that we all agree on. Thus making this situation unsolvable. But it never hurts to make suggestions, so here are some that I believe in.
First, I believe that unless you're currently fighting overseas, there should be no reason that you can legally obtain assault weapons. I say legally because there are always people who will find a way to get illegal weapons. But if we get rid of the legal option, that at least cuts down on the mainstream circulation of weapons. The last thing we need is to be able to buy an AR-15. I have yet to hear one good reason why we need assault weapons. People should be able to use a hunting rifle for sports, or maybe even a handgun. Personally I don’t like to have guns of any kind around me. But at least that way we can’t have arguments about people who want to stay “safe” or hunt. But some of the biggest trends in shooters has been their mental state.
When you think of the people who have been the perpetrators, what’s the first thing you think of? All the shooters have had something wrong mentally. Just look at Columbine, how about Virginia Tech? Aurora. They were not mentally healthy, then they were able to get guns legally and go bizerk. Then we sit there think why did this happen. Because the wrong people were able to get guns. But there was no way we would know that they were unstable, unless we give psych examinations. That we know that people who aren’t mentally stable don’t have guns. We could really cut down on these tragedies by making sure we really know the person that is being sold guns.
These plans are by no means foolproof. Because realistically there is no way we can find a permanent solution. But it is about time we stop shooting ourselves in the foot. I think we are doing more damage by doing nothing. I am very interested to see what our government decides to do about this situation. But whatever it is, it won’t be a popular one.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy