My Thoughts on Newtown: The cycle that MUST be broken

jen197
Speechless, shocked, scared, sad. Those words only barely describe the emotions I felt three years ago, June 7, 2010 when I found out, a friend of mine, only 15, was shot dead by a bullet triggered by his mom’s ex-boyfriend. Speechless, shocked, scared, sad. Those words can’t even describe the emotions America as a country felt when the mass murder of innocent children and their teachers happened in Newtown, Connecticut. In both cases, innocent lives were cut short; in both cases a gun was involved. Murders small and large are never acceptable, but everyday innocent lives are ended because a gun was in the hands of an unstable person.
“Why?” This is the question that runs through my mind when I think of all the people who die each day by a bullet. “In 2010, guns took the lives of 31,076 Americans in homicides, suicides and unintentional shootings. This is the equivalent of more than 85 deaths each day and more than three deaths each hour.”- http://smartgunlaws.org . “Why?” is the question that continues to race through my mind when I think about the people who do these evil acts. Why do they have a gun?
This is the time to end these terrible acts that claimed the lives of so many. Gun Control is the start. How many lives would be saved, if there was one less gun in the hands of the unstable? How many lives would be saved if there were a Million less guns in the hands of the evil? How many tragedies small or large would be prevented if there was a control on firearms?
Sometimes old ways need to be changed, so a cycle can break, so a new cycle can start. Well, this isn’t a maybe moment in our lives. This is a definite moment where a cycle needs to be broken NOW. The cycle that needs to be broken is a cycle that consists of guns and innocent lives being ended. “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." –The Second Amendment. That amendment is the wood and nails that is keeping the cycle together. For the cycle to break, this amendment must be amended. It must be changed. This is the direction America must go to now; it needs to be our next stop on our journey to end the cycle and to start a new one. This is where we MUST go.