My Thoughts on Newtown: Newtown Blog

melza.smith
The Newtown travesty is something people normally just see in movies or read in books, but unfortunately it happened close to home, in Newtown, Connecticut. Though the grief of the families may never truly cease, our country hopes to move on and get stronger in order to become a safer society.

Safe, what is the exact definition? In the dictionary, safe is “protected from or not exposed to danger or risk.” The new problem people are having with it is there is no mention on whether or not guns, in the hands of everyday civilians, help keep us safe or lead to more hurt.

One issue with this new debate is people are having a huge problem trying to agree on what to do. For this particular situation everyone is having trouble reaching a middle ground. Why is this so hard for our country? To be honest, I feel it is an issue of pride, but in reality I don’t think we will be able to get one answer from people, at least not an honest one.

Should all guns be taken away from civilians or is that being too controlling? Personally I think that people should be able to keep guns, but the type of gun and how they are able to purchase them will change drastically. Not only would taking away all guns from people be extremely difficult it would also go against our constitution. Our second amendment states that all citizens of the United States have the right to bear arms. My only issue is when the constitution was written in 1877, machine guns and guns that shoot multiple rounds a second were not even a thought. These guns and guns like these were not made for everyday use, they were made for the military to protect our country in times of war or protect from our enemies. They were not made for people to just keep in their homes. I think military style machine guns should not be available for public purchase, hand guns I think are fine, but no ordinary civilians needs a gun that shoots multiple bullets a second. Ever.

The way people are able to purchase guns needs to change. People can not be able to go to their local Walmart fill out some papers then be able to receive a gun. I think every person that wants to own a gun must go through a vigorous physiological exam which they must re-take every year so that why we can see if there is a change and determine if that person is still fit to own a gun.

I know that this issue will not be resolved soon but when it is all figured I hope people can realize that it is for the better of society. These kinds of incidents can not be fully prevented but by changing certain things about how people can buy guns I hope that these events will not happen as often.