STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: Newtown Blog

melza.smith
The Newtown travesty is something people normally just see in movies or read in books, but unfortunately it happened close to home, in Newtown, Connecticut. Though the grief of the families may never truly cease, our country hopes to move on and get stronger in order to become a safer society.

Safe, what is the exact definition? In the dictionary, safe is “protected from or not exposed to danger or risk.” The new problem people are having with it is there is no mention on whether or not guns, in the hands of everyday civilians, help keep us safe or lead to more hurt.

One issue with this new debate is people are having a huge problem trying to agree on what to do. For this particular situation everyone is having trouble reaching a middle ground. Why is this so hard for our country? To be honest, I feel it is an issue of pride, but in reality I don’t think we will be able to get one answer from people, at least not an honest one.

Should all guns be taken away from civilians or is that being too controlling? Personally I think that people should be able to keep guns, but the type of gun and how they are able to purchase them will change drastically. Not only would taking away all guns from people be extremely difficult it would also go against our constitution. Our second amendment states that all citizens of the United States have the right to bear arms. My only issue is when the constitution was written in 1877, machine guns and guns that shoot multiple rounds a second were not even a thought. These guns and guns like these were not made for everyday use, they were made for the military to protect our country in times of war or protect from our enemies. They were not made for people to just keep in their homes. I think military style machine guns should not be available for public purchase, hand guns I think are fine, but no ordinary civilians needs a gun that shoots multiple bullets a second. Ever.

The way people are able to purchase guns needs to change. People can not be able to go to their local Walmart fill out some papers then be able to receive a gun. I think every person that wants to own a gun must go through a vigorous physiological exam which they must re-take every year so that why we can see if there is a change and determine if that person is still fit to own a gun.

I know that this issue will not be resolved soon but when it is all figured I hope people can realize that it is for the better of society. These kinds of incidents can not be fully prevented but by changing certain things about how people can buy guns I hope that these events will not happen as often.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy