My Thoughts on Newtown: Steps to Solution

dbeal
“My Thoughts on Newtown: Steps to Solution”

The Newtown shooting was an awful tragic event that has left all of us affected in some way. This shooting, along with other shootings in places such as Aurora, Virginia Tech, and Columbine have sparked a serious debate on how to handle and deal with these shootings. I believe that the way to deal with this issue is to promote mental health, change the way we cover these types of news stories, and reinforce security in schools.
When observing the violators of these inhuman crimes one can see that mental health is the number one common denominator in these mass shootings. So what if we were able to get them help? Would these terrible events have even happened? Mental health promotion could take the form of school counselors speaking with kids about common mental health problems to try and catch it early. We can also help by trying to rid of the stigma often associated with mental health diseases.
Another way to prevent mass shootings would be changing the way we cover news stories about mass shootings. When media in our country reports on mass shooting they often makes the shooter out to be an anti-hero. This type of coverage leads to copycat and inspired shootings. The way we should be reporting on these types of stories is by focusing on the families and how it has affected them and how others could help mend the wounds inflicted upon by the event.
The last factor our society should focus on in fixing this violent streak is to improve security within the places these crimes tend to occur, such as schools and places of work. When tragic events in public places happen they are often amplified when those affected are trapped in chaos and unable to get to safety. We can solve this by talking about and discussing exit plans for tragic events in school and the workplace.
By taking these ideas and implementing them I believe that mass shooting in our country would dramatically change for the better. While these changes would be difficult to implement into our society, they are vitally necessary.