My Thoughts on Newtown: Where Do We Go After the Newtown School Shooting?

Taeyoung
Guns make it easy for people to kill or injure someone. That's what guns are designed to do. The availability of guns makes it more likely that impulsive feelings of anger or thoughts of suicide end in either death or serious injury. I feel that gun control should not exist because, it would be a direct violation of the second amendment of the Bill of Rights. Now to clarify a bit more clearly, this does not mean that you should be able to go to a store and buy a gun for absolutely no reason. I feel that you should be able to purchase guns as you please, but with an appropriate license, or else everyone would own a gun and many crimes would occur. I also believe that a private citizen should not have access to certain guns. Imagine how much worse these events could have been had the responsible parties had rifles. Now, my opponent makes the argument that gun control would be unconstitutional but the second amendment only says that citizens will have the right to bear arms. It doesn't say the government cannot outlaw guns and have other ones legal. It still gives citizens right to bear arms but not the kind of arms that can shoot others.

Ron Paul once said, "If you take the guns away from the people, the government has that much more power over the people." This means that if the government were to take guns away from the people. Then the government would move towards dictatorship and people wouldn’t even be able to rebel against the government since they do not have the weapons to fight.

Guns do not hurt people, people who use them wrong hurt people. Criminals with guns or people who are mentally ill are the problem. The Government should get all the bad people under control before they decide it is a good idea to ban guns. Because what the Government is really doing is lying to itself. They get so self absorbed that they start to believe their own lies. They think it is ok to ban weapons because everyone will still be safe. But criminals are still going to get a hold of these weapons. Guns are things that we have for the protection of ourselves and others.