My Thoughts on Newtown: Where Do We Go After Newtown?

terrenlesher
The Freckles of an Angel
I remember the day she was born just like it was yesterday. I had just turned five when one night I put my tiny, scratched up hands around my moms big belly and whispered “you come out now!” No joke, that night my mom went into labor! There I was at the Fairfields State Hospital, in my cheetah print pajamas waiting to catch a peek of my new baby sis. I remember walking back the tiled hall to see her. She was a beautiful little baby with bright red hair, her name was Charlotte Helen and she was all mine.
The next few years at home she was my own real-life babydoll. From bathtime to storytime I carried her around. I fed her at the first sign of hunger where afterwards I’d burp her. As she started growing up her hair naturally formed big beautiful curls that leapt through the air, the color of electrifying crimson. When I started fifth grade she started kindergarten and we loved to ride the bus together, laughing and whispering behind the big brown seats. We would both wake up at the same time, pour each other a bowl of lucky charms and pick the perfect outfits out together.
We both really enjoyed school, Charlotte especially did and wore a dress to school every single day. Her favorite one in particular was pink with white horizontal stripes and she wore it so much it started to fade. Don’t let her obsession for pink trick you though, she knew some Tae Kwon Do which she used to kick my butt the times she’d a throw temper tantrum. She had a soft side too and wanted to be a veterinarian, always stealing my guinea pig to make sure his heart was still beating.
Just as clearly as I remember the day she was born, I remember the day I received the news my little sister Charlotte died. It was like someone broke my grasp and stole my baby doll right out of my arms. Except if someone would have tried that I would’ve fought for her and never let her go...but I wasn’t able to stand up for her. As a matter of fact, she didn’t have the chance to stand up for herself either. Friday, December 14th heaven gained my angel. I know she makes a beautiful one with crystal blue eyes and a porcelain face speckled with freckles.
I remember walking back the tiled hall to see my baby sister, she was still a beautiful little baby with bright red hair, her name was Charlotte Helen but she wasn’t mine anymore, she was dead. Someone stole her life, and my heart went along with it.