STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: Gun Control

map16
The tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut left the state, and entire country, in shock. There have been many instances of gun violence in schools, colleges, and even movie theatres before this particular shooting; however, when an individual goes so far as to murder innocent children, the incident becomes much more disturbing and horrific. If significant changes are not implemented soon, what can the country expect in the future? The United States cannot continue with the current emphasis on gun rights, and the concomitant lack of adequate gun control. Citizens of the United States need to realize the responsibilities and privileges that come with gun ownership. Nonetheless, we must do more than merely modify gun rights; citizens all over the country need to be taught the value of life, as well as how serious one should take the responsibility of gun ownership.
To begin, I think that it would be beneficial to our safety if every individual who wishes to purchase a gun had to undergo an extensive background check, whether the purchase is online, at a gun shop, or a gun show. If the process of purchasing guns becomes more difficult, maybe less people will go to the trouble to buy so many guns, or to buy a gun at all. Although I acknowledge the fact that criminals and the mentally ill can easily access a gun through someone else; by requiring gun owners to jump through multiple hoops before purchasing a gun, there will be less guns in circulation. Hopefully this will make it more difficult for an unqualified person to obtain a gun illegally. It may be quite bold of me to say this, but if it was my decision, I would limit the number of guns allowed in each household, and I would decrease the production of guns by insisting upon abating rifle companies and the gun industry in general. In addition to stricter gun controls, we need to work toward ending the culture of violence in this country.
How often are you subjected to violence in your daily life? I firmly believe that one underlying cause of these shootings is how indifferent we are to the carnage that surrounds us. We are bombarded with images of people being killed every day, whether it be in movies, TV shows, computer games, pictures online, or in newspaper articles. Murder is something to which we have become too accustomed. If people were taught the value of life, maybe they would not be so quick to take someone else’s life. If individuals were educated about the seriousness of using and owning guns we would not be so apt to use trite remarks like, “I am going to shoot you for that,” or “let me get my gun.” Unfortunately, attaining absolute peace in this country is unrealistic, but by educating the American people, as well as modifying gun rights and controls, the citizens of this country can have a greater sense of security.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy