MY Thoughts on Newtown: Glocks are not the Problem

Stewart 1
Zach Stewart
Ms. Blanchard
College Writing
January 27th 2013
Glocks are Not the Problem
Events like the Newton Shooting are becoming more frequent in our country today. As the country becomes more stressed due to economic and foreign factors, there are many solutions that have been proposed to combat these horrific events.
The solution that I propose is directed toward gangs and firearm smuggling into the United States. Many gang shootings involve illegal weapons from Mexico or other failed states in the Central American region. I propose harsher laws regarding illegal immigration into the country. There have been illegal immigrants that have been caught with devastating weapons such as Beretta .545 handguns, flash bang grenades, frag grenades, AK-47’s, C4, slit mines, sk-47’s, chemical grenades, and even 240 bravos. Many of these illegal immigrants have been selling these materials to gangs in the United States such as MS-13, The Latin Kings, SUR-13, MOD, Texas Aryan Terror, and the Hell’s Angels. Another observation I have made are the crime rates in the United States and how they relate to the gun laws of different regions. The three strictest cities in the United States for firearm control are Washington DC, Chicago, and Los Angeles. However, they are 2nd, 3rd, and 4th every year for the amount of shootings in the United States. One other overlooked example is ironically, Mexico. Mexico has harsher firearm regulations then the United States. However, Mexico has lost more police officers in the drug war then the United States has lost soldiers in Iraq. Therefore, instead of creating laws that inhibit law abiding citizens from possessing firearms, we need to find ways to place a lot of these illegal firearm salesmen in prison or back in their own countries.
Another action that would help control shootings in the United States is to allow more law abiding people to carry concealed firearms. If the teachers at Newton were allowed to carry firearms, the teachers would have had a greater opportunity to neutralize the shooter. This would also place less stress on our police forces here in the United States.
Overall, with events like the Newton Shooting happening more often in the United States, we should not be using these events as paragons to bash firearm owners and salesmen alike. Instead, we should be using these events as motivation to end illegal firearms trafficking from Central America to the United States, take firearms out of the hands of violent gangs, and reduce the stress on the average American individual.

Works Cited
Arms Trafficking. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2013. <>.
"Mexico's Tight Gun Laws." Mexico Gun Laws. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2013. <>.
State Crime Rankings. US census, n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2013. <>.

About StageofLife.comAbout Us: is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month. is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.