My thoughts on Newtown: Do whatever we can to keep kids alive

duoduo.95
We can’t risk the future of the nation, our kids’ lives by granting the evils (who don’t necessarily look evil) guns with loose-structured gun rights laws anymore. Gun control, mental health education, and strong protection policies toward school students are all important actions government should take.

Gun control has always been a controversial topic, but children’s lives are more significant than the enjoyment of hunters. We have to make the gun policy strict enough for crazy killers to give up their bloody “hobbies”. Raising the price of guns progressively according to their potential harm can decrease the demand for guns (especially the more dangerous ones) and therefore suppress the shooting cases. Stricter tests should be passed before one receives his privilege to possess a gun. The gun granting agencies can associate with psychology departments to test if the person who applies for the privilege to have a gun has any mental issues even if no obvious symptoms are shown. Knowledge tests, on the other hand, is a way to know the person’s level of interest in guns and see if he really loves guns or he just wants guns. To effectively control the use of guns by some frantic young people, laws should be set to require family’ consent before the child’s application for possession of a gun so the child’s individual choices are bounded to family restrictions.

Mental health education, along with gun control, is another way to reduce the shooting crimes. In my opinion, mental health education should not only focus on mentally ill people, but also on preventing people from becoming mentally ill in the first place. According to Sigmund Freud, the founding father of psychoanalysis, childhood memories might be locked into our unconsciousness. Massive exposure to violent video games or TV shows such as gun shooting might impact children’s future behaviors and mental health. Consequently, video games must be regulated according to their degrees of aggression promoted, especially those which target young people.

It’s also important to facilitate strong school structures and emergency policies to protect children in the school. In order for strangers to have no chance entering the building, staff should swipe cards before entering the building so that the criminals wouldn’t have chances to disguise themselves as staff. In addition, it might be a good idea for the school to design a secret underground space for students and staff to access in emergency situations. Urgent situation practices clarifying where to hide and how to react would be critical for the safety of the school as well.
In all, kids should be protected by any means that we can think of. Although the strict policies might bring inconvenience to those who like guns and hunting, it’s worth it if the shooting cases get reduced. The U.S. has risked too many lives by granting so many guns to people and now the shooting cases only increase, so at least for a period of time, the U.S. should control the use of the guns.