My Thoughts on Newtown: A Cry for Help

mbaronio
Columbine. Aurora, Colorado. Newtown, Connecticut. These places are home to events that will forever be engrained in United States history, not because something great happened there, but because something tragic happened. With psychiatric conditions being seen as such negative things many people do not ask for help when they need it, help that could have prevented such gut-wrenching events.

Columbine. In Littleton, Colorado, a small town in Jefferson County, was in shock when two boys, Eric and Dylan, followed through with a plan that had been brewing due to bullying and depression that both boys had struggled with during their high school careers. The two boys had planned the massacre in journals a little over a year before the actual event, but on April, 20, 1999, Dylan and Eric shot and killed 12 of their classmates and one teacher. The boys injured 21 other students along with 3 other people who were injured trying to get out of the school. The boys then took their own lives after taking the lives of so many.

Aurora. Another small town in Colorado was left in tears when a man open fired in a movie theater during the midnight screening of the newest Batman movie. This man killed 12 people and injured 58 others. The shooter, James Holmes, was charged with 24 counts of first-degree murder and 116 counts of attempted murder. The trial has been postponed numerous times due to the mental illness that plagued Holmes’.

Newtown. This shooting is the most recent tragedy to hit our country below the waist. A week before Christmas, 20 year-old Adam Lanza let himself through the doors of Sandy Hook Elementary School and killed 20 children, after he had already killed his mother in her own home. Lanza killed a total of 27 people that cold December day before he took his own life.

These shootings are undoubtedly equally tragic. And they all of one thing in common; lost boys, reaching out for attention, possibly even reaching out for help. These boys reached for help in the wrong way though and because no one was there to help sooner, innocent lives were lost. If psychiatric care did not have such a negative stigma associated with it and if it were easily accessible by society then maybe, just maybe, lives could have been saved. There are certain people that are beyond help unfortunately but if we made help easier to access then we could at least say we tried.