My Thoughts on Newtown: Stop the Insanity

tmm17
Doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result. The definition of insanity. School shootings have occurred multiple times over the course of history and they will probably continue to occur, unless we do something about it. People can argue that gun control is the only way to stop these shootings, but if someone wanted a gun bad enough, they could get one. The only solution to this problem, is increasing school security.

Schools across the country claim to be safe environments where children can come and learn, but in reality, only a fraction of those schools would actually keep the children safe in the case of an emergency. The school that I attend is divided between two buildings, where students have to cross a rather busy road in order to get to their classes. This is a huge safety threat. Strangers can get inside the buildings through almost any door because of the fact that students can easily get inside and out. Even during after school hours, anyone would be able to enter the building and do whatever they please. It is crucial that schools increase the amount of security, even if it is a minor as keeping the doors locked at all times. My school specifically needs to find a way so that the students do not have to cross the street. It is a major safety hazard that could possibly result in the loss of lives. In the cases of other schools where the students don’t have to go outside, schools should keep all the doors locked and have only one entrance that is monitored by an adult. Whatever the decision may be to make schools safer, it needs to be done.

People will argue that school security is not the change that needs to be made. The problem is that people are looking for one main solution that will solve this problem, but what people need to do is look for steps to get there. There are many things that can be done to increase school security, but no matter how a school decides to increase its security, the students and teachers will be safer. We cannot continue to go on with the way things are now, and school security is taking a step forward, and ending the insanity.