STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: The Loss of Innocence

jduffyo
My Thoughts on Newtown: The Loss of Innocence
The Sandy Hook elementary school shooting shook a nation to its core. As a country mourned the loss of innocent children, the disturbing news left me numb, unsure how to feel. I was angry at Adam Lanza, the shooter in the incident, and how he could take the lives of children without remorse, mournful for the parents and the fellow classmates of those who were killed, and a confused as to how this horrific event happened. Even though I had no personal connection to any child in Newtown, I experienced emotions that come from sudden, tragic loss of someone close. How someone could take the lives of children continues to baffle me. The country continues to debate on how we can prevent another shooting, with arguments mainly based on beliefs of gun control. However, there is an underlying factor that must be discussed before any decisions can be made on how to prevent another massacre: the human life must be taught to be valued throughout our society. Until this happens, the country is still vulnerable for yet another devastating event like the Newtown shooting.
This generation has been exposed to violence much earlier than any other before us. It has become the social norm to become excited for video games that allow you to shoot a computer character or anticipate a movie that is about the violent natures of a well-developed character. Our society has failed to have conversations about violence until it is too late. The value of the human life has not been discussed enough to make a lasting impact on the young minds that we interact with daily. I firmly believe in beginning the conversation at home. If a child grows into adulthood with a firm understanding of the reality of violence and has an appreciation for the fragility of humanity along with the guidance of a parent or a role-model figure, than it is likely that the child will grow into a non-violent person. Conversations can begin movements of awareness and understanding the value of the human life; being aware and understanding of each other is the key way to have our country move on and improve our society in order to avoid another deadly shooting.
Sometimes I fear that the human life has become an idea, not a reality, and that society thinks we can “respawn” if anything ever happened to us. Unfortunately, the innocent lives of the children in the Sandy Hook shooting will not be able to live the lives they could have had. Their life stories will be those of the few short years that they had on this Earth and not off of the legacy that they might have had. Teaching others to value one another’s lives should be made a priority, not just for the sake of the lives lost that fateful day, but to create a lasting impact on our society.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy