My Thoughts On Newton: When Seconds Count, The Police Are Only Moments Away

n0stalgic
My Thoughts on Newton: When Seconds Count, Police Are Only Moments Away

Gun control. Taking out ‘control’ and inserting ‘rights’ would make a better statement. Guns are something that people have a right to, and our rights should not be controlled.

What happened in Newton was a tragedy, and my heart goes out to those who lost their lives and loved ones. However, this is something that we can avoid in the future, if we only open ourselves up to the idea that maybe, just maybe, people should be allowed to own and carry firearms.

I’ve heard many people say, “Guns kill people”. That’s not true, though. Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. Guns are just tools, tools that people make.

Now, why would we make guns if we shouldn’t have them?

That’s just the thing. We should have them, especially in places like schools and homes.

The Newton tragedy is an example of why schools should have firearms. Teachers should be able to keep a gun in their desk. This way, if someone comes to their classroom and tries to harm anyone, the teachers would have a gun for defense. If people knew that a school was well armed with guns, would they go in anyways and shoot up the place? No, they wouldn’t.

On my mom’s ranch, she keeps a gun in her room and her car. Every one of her neighbors do, too. You know why? So that if someone decided to break into their house with the intention of harming them, they would be able to defend themselves.

No one should be left helpless.

Calling the police is a good idea, but when seconds count, the police are only moments away. The police might not be able to get to where you are in time to save you. It might just be too late.

If you have a firearm with you, though, it might not be too late. Instead of having to wait for help, you can help yourself.

Attempting to put even more rules and regulations on guns isn’t going to keep anyone safe. If someone wants to hurt people, they’re going to find a way to do it, with or without a gun. But if someone wants to save people, a gun would be a pretty useful – and possibly even lifesaving – thing to have.

This is the direction that our country should go in. Instead of hiding away all of the guns as if they’re the reason for tragedies like Newton, we should embrace these tools and learn how to use them, so as to prevent tragedies like Newton.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:25:56 PM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura
Comment by futurejournalist

Since when is this an episode of Bonanza? We can't keep guns tucked into our belts. Yes, we have gun rights, but the ninth part of the Bill of Rights says that one person's rights aren't to be interpreted to deprive another of their own. We can't send out kinder-gardeners to school with guns, and just what is going to keep even their teachers from harming them? The fact is, there is evil in the world and an increase in violence isn't going to solve this problem, we need it to decrease. We need a solution, but I doubt this is it.
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:54:50 AM