My Thoughts on Newton: Guns don’t kill people, people kill people

K.A.Duncan

I remember it clear as day. I was in school. My English class to be exact, in the front row, with a computer in front of me, typing my end of the semester exam, then my teacher exclaims, “Oh my gosh!” Every student looked up at her, curious looks on each face. As she explained what had happened, each face fell, shock and fear etching into their features.

We are high school students but we are still afraid. It doesn’t matter how old you get or how young you may be, you can still be a victim in a tragedy.

I watched the news many days later, seeing the recording of all those children that had escaped with their lives. Seeing all the police officers, teachers, parents, and neighbors, all those people who had to worry if their loved one was all right, or if what they were seeing was going to be the worst thing they ever saw.

Can you imagine what those people are feeling that lost their child? And for what? Can you imagine what those first responders saw? Bloody, dead seven year old children who may have once been the best friend of their own child. They will never forget that for as long as they live.

We've had an assembly two years in a row, about the Columbine shooting. Both years, it has focused on Rachel Joy Scott. A young girl who was minding her own, who had supposedly been the nicest girl in school, and was the first to be killed in what was labeled the worst school shooting in history. But, what caught my attention after seeing this presentation twice was: what about all those other people?

Obviously, others died if it was the worst shooting ever, but we only ever focus on Rachel and because she had said, “I am going to die young.” That isn’t the only reason, but that she was also a kind girl. But just because others weren’t as sweet as she was, they don’t get the recognition she does.

But those little kids never got the chance to be bullies or sweet angels. They didn’t bully that man and they do anything to deserve their fate. That man did what he did, and only he knew why.

I just wonder, what good would ridding the people of their right to bear arms? If you plan on killing someone, is the law really going to stop you from getting the weapon illegally?
If law abiding citizens carried weapons, how many people would have died at The Dark Knight movie? Maybe, that man would have injured one person, but another could have stood up and put a bullet in his chest before any others were hurt.

Anyone and everyone can be a victim because it isn't guns that kill people. It’s people that kill people.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:26:45 PM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura