STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts On Newtown: Guns = Bloodshed

Ikraan

Gunshots ringing in our ears. Impure blood of the innocent. Trigger pulled without contemplating the aftermath. This is the problem of today.

The first war to be ever recorded in history was the war that happened in 2700 BCE between Sumer, which is now modern day Iraq and Elam, which is apart of Iran today. War after war. Bloodshed. It only brings out the bad light in humanity. But, why are we to care, when humanity is all that exists. If we think and reflect, we'll come to an understanding that what is acceptable in our generation today will be openly normal in the upcoming generations.

I come from an originality of Somalis. Although, I've never been to Somalia, and was born and raised in Minnesota, the countless stories are enough for a vivid imagination to picture. My parents have never lost the ideal Somalia they were born in. Lush trees filled with mangoes, and long coastlines that attracted many tourists. Days filled with adventures of horseback riding and nights around a fireplace with stories to tell. Then, the war broke out, and all of that was destroyed. And now, the only picture all the generations afterward have are, famine, hunger, diseases, killing of the innocent, etc.

So, that brings us to the topic of guns. If most of the outcome of guns being wielded are negative, why allow them so commonly? I believe, for the better of humanity and in avoidance of these horrendous events that bring blue devils into our lives, we should, as a nation, pass a regulation of gun control. A law that exempts law enforcers, but otherwise only lets certain people own guns. A law that would end tragedies like the Newtown school shooting.

Try stepping in their shoes. If you were excited about going to school everyday. You had an ambition of becoming something. May it be a rock star or firefighter, and then suddenly, your life was flashed before your eyes. In a moment's time, you were dead and the burden of grief was put upon your family.

Imagine, you working all your life to achieve the feeling of delight when you teach. Imagine, arriving to work one day and finding out that it would also be your last. Imagine, having to choose in this scenario. Would you fend safety for yourself? Or would you take your life to save some of your beloved students?

I believe that the second amendment of allowing people to own whatever firearm they please, is a little too much “freedom.” There's a famous quote on freedom by N. Scott Mills that I can relate to exactly. "We will never be through with our fight for Liberty, because their will always be people who do not want the responsibility of freedom, and the will always be people who will gladly take that responsibility away from them, for the power it brings."

Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:58:49 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy