STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: Learning from this terrible tragedy

hootootj
December 14, 2012 was a day that touched the heart of every American. On that day, seven adults and 20 young children, whose lives had only just begun, died. The shooting at Newtown changed my view of the United States. I had always believed that here in America, when we were in school, we were safe, but this shooting really hit home and altered my thoughts. Shooting a school and killing so many children was an unthinkable idea, and at first, I could not believe that this had happened. School was supposed to be a place a safety and refugee, and after this, I was not so sure about that. Then, talk of arming teachers started, and I was incredulous. I had not even considered this possibility and did not think that arming teachers with the very weapon that could cause death was a smart idea. Teachers that had guns could protect the kids, but if a student was able to get the gun, the consequences could be disastrous. If teachers were to carry guns, the presence of such an unsafe weapon in the company of hundreds of innocent children would make school, a place that is supposed to be a safe haven, dangerous.
There has also been a renewed interest in the gun laws, and I believe that there should definitely be stricter laws about private ownership of guns. This horrid act was caused not only by the man behind the weapon, but by the weapon too. I believe that the rules that pertain to guns should be re-examined and many deaths caused by guns could be avoided. An article from the New York Times stated, “the American murder rate is roughly 15 times that of other wealthy countries, which have much tougher laws controlling private ownership of guns.” This shows that if the United States created stricter laws, we could prevent more deaths from happening. If we were able to limit what type of gun a person could use or how many bullets a person could buy, we would be able to deter anyone from doing a mass murder. If we had limited these things, shootings such as the one at Newtown, Virginia Tech, and countless others could have been avoided. Also, America should take more care in the handling of people with mental illnesses because the fault does not lie with just the guns, but also with the man. I hope that the events of Newtown will propel the American government to take another look at laws concerning guns, and I hope that this great nation can learn from this terrible tragedy so that there will be no repeats of this event in the future.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy