STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts On Newtown: Does control lead to chaos?

kate9009
Time after time, tragedy seems to strike where we least expect it. This time, in Newtown. This tragic shooting leads to political debates, instead of mourning. In my opinion, this is a tragedy in itself. We are fighting amongst ourselves when so many families will never get to celebrate their child's birthday ever again! Before the media jumps all over a tragedy like this one, we should all just step back and take some time to be thankful for everyday that we have with our loved ones, and take time to mourn for those who were lost. Now, gun control, time after time, has shown to lead to more violence. Stronger gun control keeps law abiding citizens from having guns, while criminals can go out of the way to get guns illegaly, obviously getting guns not through the system. HOWEVER, in Newtown, the shooter had a mental illness, and because of the carelessness of the gun salesmen that sold the shooter the guns used that day, many young children are dead. Normally, I believe in less gun control. But, that is definetly not the case when it comes to Newtown. The fact that this man was able to purchase weapons legally, shows that something is wrong. I think where we should go after something like this, is to make anyone buying a gun show medical history forms, or take a test to insure that we are not selling lethal weapons to people with mental illnesses! To me, this seems like common sense, and the fact that we need a tragedy like this to make people realize the need for these mental checks, to me is sad. In every single gun selling establishment, to insure something like this won't happen again, there should be mandated mental checks on every person the guns are sold to. And if the shop thinks it is "too small" to need to do that, then it should be seen as the illegal selling of weapons and should be shut down. This is truly a tragedy, and my heart goes out to every person affected by this event.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy