My Thoughts On Newtown: Does control lead to chaos?

kate9009
Time after time, tragedy seems to strike where we least expect it. This time, in Newtown. This tragic shooting leads to political debates, instead of mourning. In my opinion, this is a tragedy in itself. We are fighting amongst ourselves when so many families will never get to celebrate their child's birthday ever again! Before the media jumps all over a tragedy like this one, we should all just step back and take some time to be thankful for everyday that we have with our loved ones, and take time to mourn for those who were lost. Now, gun control, time after time, has shown to lead to more violence. Stronger gun control keeps law abiding citizens from having guns, while criminals can go out of the way to get guns illegaly, obviously getting guns not through the system. HOWEVER, in Newtown, the shooter had a mental illness, and because of the carelessness of the gun salesmen that sold the shooter the guns used that day, many young children are dead. Normally, I believe in less gun control. But, that is definetly not the case when it comes to Newtown. The fact that this man was able to purchase weapons legally, shows that something is wrong. I think where we should go after something like this, is to make anyone buying a gun show medical history forms, or take a test to insure that we are not selling lethal weapons to people with mental illnesses! To me, this seems like common sense, and the fact that we need a tragedy like this to make people realize the need for these mental checks, to me is sad. In every single gun selling establishment, to insure something like this won't happen again, there should be mandated mental checks on every person the guns are sold to. And if the shop thinks it is "too small" to need to do that, then it should be seen as the illegal selling of weapons and should be shut down. This is truly a tragedy, and my heart goes out to every person affected by this event.