STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: Whose fault is it?

zmiller96
I think that this is a question that needs an answer. Many people would say that guns are too easy to acquire and that we should have stricter gun control. Some might also say that we should ban all guns except for use by military. Groups like the NRA argue the opposite and say that everyone should own a gun. I don’t completely agree with either. While I do feel that it’s unnecessary for civilians to have access to fully automatic weapons and large capacity magazines, I also think that it’s unconstitutional to completely ban firearms for civilian purchase. To the other side of the argument, I don’t think that every single person should own a gun or that we should have armed guards everywhere. People would get nervous if one day they went to work or the supermarket to see a person in front of the building with a gun in their hand. I don’t have a solution to the gun argument for two reasons. One, no matter what the solution is, someone won’t agree with it and will complain. Two, guns aren’t the real problem here. Are forks and spoons blamed for making people fat? Are cigarette boxes and beer bottles responsible for addiction? No, the people holding them are at fault. It’s no different with guns; even if they’re outlawed, people will still find a way to get their hands on them. Certain drugs are illegal but they’re still present in the United States. Guns being made illegal wouldn’t help the problem. They could still be smuggled in from other countries or made in basements and garages with tools that you can get from Lowe’s or Home Depot. So what do we do? Back to my earlier statement, people are the problem. My proposed solution is that we should have laws like other countries where you have to have a license to show that you are physically capable to use a gun and mentally stable enough to know when and how to use it. I think that this is a good solution because it allows people to still own guns, but only if they are responsible enough to know how to handle them. This would stop people who have mental disorders from going out to buy a gun and shooting people. However, this would not stop people using a friend’s or relative’s gun; like in the Newtown incident. For this, my solution has much less paperwork. Hide your gun somewhere where people wouldn’t look, put a lock on it, and keep the keys on your person or in a separate hiding place. Better yet, buy a gun safe. What happened in Newtown is truly a tragedy. I hope that solutions are found in the following months that people can agree on so that something like this never happens again.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy