My thoughts on Newtown: Whose fault is it?

zmiller96
I think that this is a question that needs an answer. Many people would say that guns are too easy to acquire and that we should have stricter gun control. Some might also say that we should ban all guns except for use by military. Groups like the NRA argue the opposite and say that everyone should own a gun. I don’t completely agree with either. While I do feel that it’s unnecessary for civilians to have access to fully automatic weapons and large capacity magazines, I also think that it’s unconstitutional to completely ban firearms for civilian purchase. To the other side of the argument, I don’t think that every single person should own a gun or that we should have armed guards everywhere. People would get nervous if one day they went to work or the supermarket to see a person in front of the building with a gun in their hand. I don’t have a solution to the gun argument for two reasons. One, no matter what the solution is, someone won’t agree with it and will complain. Two, guns aren’t the real problem here. Are forks and spoons blamed for making people fat? Are cigarette boxes and beer bottles responsible for addiction? No, the people holding them are at fault. It’s no different with guns; even if they’re outlawed, people will still find a way to get their hands on them. Certain drugs are illegal but they’re still present in the United States. Guns being made illegal wouldn’t help the problem. They could still be smuggled in from other countries or made in basements and garages with tools that you can get from Lowe’s or Home Depot. So what do we do? Back to my earlier statement, people are the problem. My proposed solution is that we should have laws like other countries where you have to have a license to show that you are physically capable to use a gun and mentally stable enough to know when and how to use it. I think that this is a good solution because it allows people to still own guns, but only if they are responsible enough to know how to handle them. This would stop people who have mental disorders from going out to buy a gun and shooting people. However, this would not stop people using a friend’s or relative’s gun; like in the Newtown incident. For this, my solution has much less paperwork. Hide your gun somewhere where people wouldn’t look, put a lock on it, and keep the keys on your person or in a separate hiding place. Better yet, buy a gun safe. What happened in Newtown is truly a tragedy. I hope that solutions are found in the following months that people can agree on so that something like this never happens again.