My Thoughts on Newtown: We Need to Move On and Create Fair Laws on Gun Control

chrisguzman
The Newtown shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary was a major tragedy that caused the death of 27 people. 20 of those shot and killed were kids. This caused a lot of grief within the Newtown community and the rest of the nation. This tragedy also caused an uprising against guns. People of the United States want stricter or even total outlaw of guns in the country. There have been previous shootings in the previous year alone, which called for gun control, but nothing happened as a result politically. The direction we should head towards after the killing of children will need to be a drastic one.
One of the major changes that need to occur is that all guns sold in America need to be accounted for and to whom it’s from. Also, the individual would need to be checked for mental stability and for education merit. For example, if you didn’t graduate from high school, you cannot own a gun. This change can decrease the usage of gun use in the country and also the ignorance about using guns.
Another change that the American people need to make is to make sure that licensed people are the only ones able to control the guns. People would need to have a secure place for their weapon. This does cause some problems, as it seems too controlling from the government, but if the people who have guns compromise with the government, the quarantine of guns will be succeeded and people who are not licensed to possess a gun cannot have one.
Changes in gun control are limited, but the teachings of the youth and the social environment that the American society has on gun usage needs to change to prevent another tragedy to occur. To fix this, the American people need to pass laws on the control of guns, instead of out-right making them illegal or even making it completely loose. Some of these laws would need to accommodate the people, such as the checking of mental stability, educational accomplishment, and a safe and secure place that guns are kept at in the households of gun users. If not, then there would be even more trouble and cause a bigger mess than what we already have.