My Thoughts on Newtown

caitlynsullivan
The Newtown shooting was a very tragic event that affected a lot of our country. There are a lot of different things that we as a country could do. These include gun rights and laws that control who can own a gun and who cannot own a gun. Also how we protect our schools where children are most of the day almost every day could have even more security.
Our country should take into consideration that guns do protect us, but yes sometimes they can hurt us and others around us. Personally I think gun rights and laws should be changed so people have to go through a more thorough process to own and use guns. If the government could control all sales of guns I think it should happen, people should just be able to show up somewhere and buy a gun without any papers or registration that would need to be filed out by the government. I know for a fact that in some states a person can show up at a gun show and walk away with the gun without any papers or registration from the government. The government should not allow that ever. Some people should not own a gun people think that owning a gun will save them from everything in the world and in all actuality it won’t and they should now that but choose not to believe it. The government should be able to control all of gun and ammunition sales. By this I mean that people should have to be examined by the government before they purchase the weapon, to make sure that this person will be responsible with the weapon. I also think that throughout the years the government should be able to examine the people again to see if they are still fit to own the weapon.
Another thing that should happen is protection at our schools should be better. Some schools do have security systems with the door, where they are always locked and people must enter and exit through the front door and get buzzed in to enter. My school has this system, but I don’t think it is as thorough as it should be because what I have seen is that everyone gets buzzed in whether it is students, parents or teachers. They don’t check for identification before allowing people in they just let everyone in. I think this should be changed; I think that schools should have a more secure system and have protection for all students throughout the school. I think police officers should be at all schools to protect children and the teachers.