STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown

caitlynsullivan
The Newtown shooting was a very tragic event that affected a lot of our country. There are a lot of different things that we as a country could do. These include gun rights and laws that control who can own a gun and who cannot own a gun. Also how we protect our schools where children are most of the day almost every day could have even more security.
Our country should take into consideration that guns do protect us, but yes sometimes they can hurt us and others around us. Personally I think gun rights and laws should be changed so people have to go through a more thorough process to own and use guns. If the government could control all sales of guns I think it should happen, people should just be able to show up somewhere and buy a gun without any papers or registration that would need to be filed out by the government. I know for a fact that in some states a person can show up at a gun show and walk away with the gun without any papers or registration from the government. The government should not allow that ever. Some people should not own a gun people think that owning a gun will save them from everything in the world and in all actuality it won’t and they should now that but choose not to believe it. The government should be able to control all of gun and ammunition sales. By this I mean that people should have to be examined by the government before they purchase the weapon, to make sure that this person will be responsible with the weapon. I also think that throughout the years the government should be able to examine the people again to see if they are still fit to own the weapon.
Another thing that should happen is protection at our schools should be better. Some schools do have security systems with the door, where they are always locked and people must enter and exit through the front door and get buzzed in to enter. My school has this system, but I don’t think it is as thorough as it should be because what I have seen is that everyone gets buzzed in whether it is students, parents or teachers. They don’t check for identification before allowing people in they just let everyone in. I think this should be changed; I think that schools should have a more secure system and have protection for all students throughout the school. I think police officers should be at all schools to protect children and the teachers.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy