My Thoughts on Newtown: Newtown School Shooting

maryb_2231
There have been many tragedies in such a short period of time. But there is one that stands out among the rest, the Newtown school shooting. This left most of America with a rude awakening of the events that take place in our nation. Now where do we go? Most Americans believe that because of these tragedies, things need to change. Gun control is at the top of the list.
In the year 2012 over 10,000 people were killed due to firearms. What does this mean to some people? Gun control needs to be put into action. This idea may not be easy though because of all the different opinions. Most people believe it is a right to be able to have a firearm. One suggestion is that the NRA should have people who are interested in owning a gun to be tested for mental disabilities. It has been proven that the shooters who cause these tragedies most likely have a mental problem and they need medical help. If citizens are tested by medical professionals before being able to purchase a firearm then the number of deaths because of firearms could possibly decrease.
Many of the shootings in America have happened at schools. These types of tragedies are the most heartbreaking to many people. Most people believe that there are solutions to this. One suggestion is to have security at elementary schools and not just middle schools and high schools. Because of the shooting in Newtown, citizens don’t feel as comfortable putting their children in public schools without having security. Having security at schools would prevent intruders from entering the building at all times and would keep children and even adults safe.
The past few months have gotten people thinking about the actions that should take place to prevent these tragedies from happening. Gun control and security are the most suggested ideas. Honestly, yes, it is a tragedy but America should try their best to move on and keep going on with life. Starting debates and arguments will not solve the problem; it will only make things worse for the families who are mourning the deaths of their children. The only question is, what will America do and what will happen to our nation?