STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtowm

Kourtney Elchinger
My Thoughts on Newtown
It has become very clear that the tragedies involving mass shootings that occur across America, and the blame has been largely put upon gun possession and how easily it has become to own a firearm of your choosing. This factor has put tremendous stress upon our Nation, and it has become a heated issue as people seek ways to end the violence of mass shootings.
We have a right to bear arms according to the Constitution, but this does not mean everyone can go out and purchase automatic weapons. These weapons should be only available for persons in the military, or on the police force who undergo tremendous hours preparing how to shoot and learning when it is necessary to use these weapons. They are also trained to apply their skills in psychology and negotiating before one of these firearms are ever used. The right to bear arms was set into place by our forefathers with the intent for citizens to protect themselves and fend for invasion. It has never intended for people to enter schools or theaters and violently end lives. Our Nation needs to recall those weapons. We should demand the return of automatic weapons legally sold, and severe punishment those found possessing an automatic weapon. I believe that we, as citizens, do have the right to own a weapon for protection, but only one. In order to own a gun, I believe that the individual must have an extensive background check and take courses on how and when to shoot. Laws need to be changed within the White House! We don’t have time to waste on voting through senators, governors, and Congress. Citizens should be allowed one firearm per person with six shots or less. If you like to hunt, then you must choose what you will own. There is no need for individuals to have several weapons in their possession.
I do not feel safe in my own school. It isn’t because the school doesn’t provide enough security. I actually believe that now we have entirely too many security officers. The problem is that not one of them carries a firearm. This puts the security officers at the same level of defense as myself in the event that there was an intruder entering my school. How is the school going to go up against not only an intruder but an intruder with a weapon or weapons? Security means the ability to secure a situation using whatever force is needed to get the situation under control. My question, again, is how are handcuffs and pepper mace going to combat a gun? All security must carry firearms and be stationed at the only door unlocked at all times. Since the horrible act of violence in Newtown, my school has roughly six to seven security officers. None of them have a firearm stationed on their hip. How safe would you feel?
Finally, let’s talk about the costs to put in place all this extra security. Our Nation has a huge debt that we are trying to reduce, and because of the costs at a security measures, there are budget cuts in other areas of importance like school supplies, salaries and athletics for the schools in America. We cannot and should not cut anymore. These areas are currently suffering and cannot suffer anymore. Congress has to show some leniency with the President so we can secure the American people properly without adding additional costs for the citizens to endure.
In conclusion, the answer in my eyes, a sophomore in a city school, is very simple and is as follows:
One- A mandatory weapon round up limiting one weapon to an individual. This still would give you the right to bear arms with safer weapons. A single bullet CAN protect you.
Two- Extensive background checks and a mandatory class to be taken for all guns owners on safety and regulation of gun use. Citizens need to be stable- headed with a full understanding of their firearm.
Third- Pull back on the numbers of security officers in schools so budgets can get back on track once again, but ARM them so they can protect the student body and staff “FROM INTRUDERS!”

Sincerely,
Kourtney Elchinger
15th of January 2013
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy