My thoughts on Newtown: It's not the gun, it's the shooter

Derrica Buchanan
Derrica Buchanan
January 15, 2013

Is violence the answer? Must we take lives to satisfy our own? Is the power of the gun to blame?
In my opinion, it’s not the gun, it’s the shooter. Frequently we have had a plethora of incidents leading to the death of many innocents during school shootings due to unawareness, poor security, and, low preparedness. The newton school shootings opened up many worlds of wonder and questioning as to how we will solve these ongoing issues, and where do we go from this point. The argument of whether or not teachers should have access to guns while in school for protection is the top of discussion so far.
I feel that protect is necessary at all times, but, guns may not be the best solution. If teachers have to carry guns, in order to feel protected, what purpose do school security guards and metal detectors serve? Although the idea is meant for a good cause, you have to look at the possible outcomes of this decision. What if a student gets a hold of the weapon and harms themselves or another? What if it “accidentally” goes off? What if a teachers all of a sudden becomes enraged and starts to shoot? Then what? We’re back to where we started. If anyone should have access to weapons it should be the security gauds; the people who are supposed to keep us out of harms ways while in school. Teachers come to school to teach, students come to school learn. There shouldn’t be a worry of “Will I walk out alive today?” If a security guard had more enforcement by their side, I strongly believe crime would take place.
Next, we will need to take a more interested eye on those around us. The vast majority of these shootings are commonly caused by people dealing with some type of mental issue and/or personal frustrations. Schools should be more informed of any type of “threatening” situations concerning teachers and students which could possibly lead to any type of “unexpected’ visits. If any appears out of the ordinary it should be reported immediately, that way we can work to fix the issue, if possible to avoid any further disturbance. Along with that, schools should become more proactive the intruder drills, and create better plan of how react when the time comes. If this is handled properly, we will be able to “expect the unexpected.”