My Thoughts on Newtown: Where Do We Go From Now?

cpartlow16
Christopher Partlow
January 15, 2013
AVID Essay

There are many tragedies today that are involved with mental health issues, armed security, and the rights and control of guns today. For example on December 14, 2012 in Connecticut a man named Adam Lanza who was 20 years old went into Sandy Hook Elementary School and shot and killed 20 children from the ages of five to six and six staff members including the principal using a Bushmaster Rifle which is an assault weapon . This was a tragedy that made the whole nation mourn over their deaths. To prevent situations like this from ever happening again we can address possible firearms for security, seeking assistance or help for people with mental health issues, and the use and control of firearms in the community.
The ability to acquire a firearm is extremely abused and overlooked. The 2nd amendment states that it is legal to possess a firearm unconnected to the militia and to use that firearm only for lawful purposes only such as self-defense within the home. I think that the law should not be taken away but the law should be restricted as to which kind of guns can be acquired and are legal. A person should be able to carry a small firearm on them for protection but it should not be legal for a person to possess a semi-automatic firearm or assault weapon. This type of fire power should only be of access to the militia and police department.
People with mental health issues are a problem that should not be ignored. A person that has raging thoughts about killing themselves or harming others is an issue that should not be taken lightly nor overlooked. According to http://www.mind.org.uk statistics show that 34% of murders show that the crime committed by the people show symptoms of mental illness.
One way that could address this problem very affectively is equipping security guards in school with firearms. This would be a good resolution because it doesn’t leave schools vulnerable to outside people. If security was equipped with firearms then a person trying to shoot people in a school would have a less chance of succeeding and the number of murders would increase. Security should be the only ones allowed with firearms because it would be dangerous for children if weapons were in the classrooms.
Many tragedies today have to deal with lack of armed security, people with mental health issues, and the abuse of the 2nd amendment. If we can assess these problems then we will be significantly lowering the percentages of deaths that occur every day. My only question that I want to leave you is that what things you do to better our community in this society.