My Thoughts on Newtown: Cause for a Change?

Alexis Robertson
“If you’re going to say what you want to say, you’re going to hear what you don’t want to hear.”-Roberto Bolaño. This quote refers to the biggest controversy of last year; The Newtown shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary which sparked outrage and despondency among Americans, young and old. It made people wonder “Are we ever really safe?” Is it America or the Americans? The answer is still quite debatable, and for some a sensitive subject. The country is once again divided due to this tragedy and question. I feel that gun control and mental health are the main points to discuss. Gun control should be the same as it is and it is in fact, mental health care that should be watched not guns.
Gun control is the main topic since the incident. Some people feel as though the gun rights shouldn’t change and guns don’t kill people, but people kill people. Then again, there are some that feel that police officers and armed security should guard every school. There are even some who feel that the teachers should carry the guns. What most people don’t do before they choose a side is; think. To the first idea, aren’t police officers supposed to protect our city and not just the schools? And to those who feel teachers should carry firearms, what happens if the kids get ahold of the gun? Guns are always going to be a problem but in this case it’s the people who are the problem, BUT we also hold the key to the solution. This viewpoint will be later elaborated.
Another problem is the issue of mental health vs. guns. Mental health should be taken more seriously and watched more closely than guns. Mental health issues are very common for shooters to plead to get off or receive a lesser sentence. Usually, when people need help either they get denied it or their feelings get belittled. Then they see a gun and feel like violence will solve their problems and don’t see the consequences of their actions until it’s too late. The answer is not to change gun laws but to better the people. The problem is the human need for attention. Most times, people just want to be heard, but when they get ignored, they tend to go through drastic measures just to receive any type of attention they can get. So, therefore, the solution is not to take away from the people but to better the stability of the mental health of the people.
Lastly, I feel that we should stop the discussion so those involved closely can grieve their loss properly. But if we do feel as if a change is needed, gun control is not the problem; we as people are the cause and the solution. We should evaluate the mental health more seriously and critically. And with that, I challenge you to listen and help someone, ANYONE, with an issue!
~Alexis Robertson
Comment by KSullivan

What happened in Newtown is sad, but I agree with what you said, its actually more easy to get ahold of a gun than to get help for the mental health they got. Nowdays more people are getting denied from getting help. it troubles them that they cannot receive a little help. Even a little help could change something from happening like this.
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 5:04:47 PM