My Thoughts on Newtown: Will American Students ever be safe in school?

Danielle Nunn
Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook Elementary), Imani Charles Williams (Thomas Jefferson Elementary), these are just a few that have committed a shooting at an elementary school that has ended in a fatality. What did they do it with? A GUN!!!!! Ever since the tragic day of December 14, 2012 the question on everyone’s mind is, “How are we going move on from this and make sure it doesn’t happen again?” People are saying many different things and voicing so many different opinions about what to do. I feel that there are a lot of things to take into consideration: are schools safe and what/who is responsible for the shooting are just a few things that I am going to talk about.
These days are you really safe school? There are so many people dying in schools students are hesitant about going. The tragic day of 12/14/12 was a day that everyone will remember for a really long time. There are a lot of different ideas being thrown around about how to make the schools safer so this won’t happen again: teachers being armed, Administers being armed, and principals being armed. I think that all of these ideas are terrible and should never be brought up again. I think that no one should be armed, but the people that are qualified and trained for this job, such as: THE SERCUITY OFFICERES. I think that every school should have at least two armed security guards on school grounds. When people made their suggestions they didn’t think about if one of the teachers or students had a bad temper, they could find the gun and kill everyone. Then they wouldn’t have to worry about an outside force, but someone from within the school it’s self.
The second thing to think about when making decisions that will affect America as a whole is who is responsible: “Who did the shooting the gun or the person?” If sit back and really think about it guns are not bad, and not evil: but people are bad and evil. No gun has ever gone out and killed someone; the person behind the gun does the killing and has the evil thought to take another’s life. In order to have an affective gun control and save people we need to try and evaluate the person first. I feel that everyone should be tested for any mental illnesses before being tested for a gun. Of course this won’t stop shootings, but it might help slow them down.
Before making decisions that are, as drastic and bizarre as taking guns away completely, or even adding more guns, we need to sit back and think about the heart of the situation. Let’s stop throwing out random ideas, let’s think: Are more guns really going to solve things?
~Danielle Nunn