My Thoughts on Newtown: Guns Don’t Kill People, People Kill People

Lakea
Where do we go after the tragic Newtown school shooting? How are we supposed to feel safe when there are shootings left and right? 68% of murder weapons in the United States are firearms, as reported by http://www.statisticbrain.com/murder-weapon-statistics . In regards to the Bill Of Rights, the 2nd amendment states, “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”
Therefore, people take this right and run with it. They figure they have the right to bear arms and use them whenever they feel. Having that right requires responsibility; you are only supposed to use that second amendment in self-defense. For example, the Colorado “Dark Knight” shooting. A gunman wearing a gas mask and sheathed head-to-toe in body armor opened fire in a midnight showing of a new released movie known as “Batman the Dark Knight”, killing at least 12 and injuring 58 innocent human beings. After the gunman was arrested he asked why he was in jail, according to the NYDailyNews.com. To own a gun you should have to go through a long process of background checks and medical conditions. There should be a test you have to take to see if you are mentally stable to own a legalized weapon. This is a cruel world and although God created everyone equally, nobody is perfect, but to take someone’s life is beyond abhorrent.
Another issue that should be addressed is the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting. A man by the name of Adam Lanza went into Sandy Hook Elementary located in Newtown, Connecticut, and killed 26 people. Taking the lives of 20 children in the age ranges of 5-7 years of age, and 6 adults, including his mom. Then killed himself after the incident. Who knows why he did such a thing? Many questions are being brought to the table but no one is here to answer them. Some say Lanza did it because the feeling of neglect from his mother. But we can’t ask Lanza personally to find out the real reason. Speaking of this situation, it is a very serious topic and for the safety of the children there should be a protective weapon located in a safe place in every main office. It should be a restricted area only used for emergencies. Sort of like fire extinguishers but more sacred.
In conclusion, we all worry about the children’s safety. Kids should be able to go to school and feel safe, be able to walk out the front door without worrying about getting hurt or kidnapped. People should really put themselves in the other person’s position. What if it was your child that got killed at school? How would you feel? So why would you want to hurt another person’s child? This is a cruel world but sometimes you have to go through the rain to get to the rainbow.
Comment by Kwweesten

I agree with you. I think along with background checks, people should be ordered to have a pysch evaluation test as well.
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:11:11 PM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:57:51 PM