“My Thoughts on Newtown: A Tragedy We’ll All Remember!”

Ryan_Amonta
From the time it came across the television as breaking news, it broke the hearts of the millions watching. Though the pain that these families have endured was not those of any that we have may have endured, it did not stop those watching from weeping as if they’d just lost their own child. As a country, as well as nation, we have been hit with many tragedies such as the Newtown and Colorado shooting. But how do we move forward and improve so tragedies of such nature could never occur again? Although we are unable to predict the next the next tragedy, time, or the place we can take a step in preventing then by protecting our schools and making gun laws stricter.
First we must reinsure the safety of our children. Adding police or school safety to all schools is proven to become very important. We cannot just protect the wellbeing of middle and high school students we must also protect our elementary children. By adding school safety officers or police to all schools and making sure that proper procedures are being followed to ensure the safety of our kids we make it hard for events such as the Newtown shooting to happen. Though there was the belief that school security was not needed in the presence of an elementary school, we must open our eyes to reality and realize that we live in a world where you are not safe anywhere you go. For young five and six year olds to be killed in the one place we say is” safe,” school, it is totally unbelievable, but its reality.
Second we must update the procedures taken by schools to ensure the safety of the kids. Police and schools need to get together and develop a scheduled intruder alert every month so that kids are well prepared in the event that something ever so tragic does occur. Police need to teach the students how to protect themselves and what to do in a situation that is life threatening. Also making sure that the accessibility to the school is only for the students, parents, and administration so that there aren’t any people who don’t belong on the premises. Taking these step well help to develop well prepared schools that truly do have what it takes to keep students safe.
Lastly, we must develop a new gun policy. Taking the guns off the streets and making stricter laws against caring them we can also ensure safety. Though the United States Constitution allows for citizens to bear arms, it doesn’t give them the right to abuse the constitution and kill several individuals. If we make it harder to carry weapons we can save the lives of others.
We have an obligation to protect our children, our family, and ourselves. We need to make our laws stricter and make it harder to carry a firearm, as well as put more security measures and safety officers in our schools. Look around, the world is what we have made it to be. If you looked and did not like what you saw, stand up and make a change. As a nation let’s rise up, move toward a better world rather than relive the tragedies we have already faced. Change begins now and it starts within you.
Ryan Young